PDA

View Full Version : Chain dilemna 350x Half Link Search

SonicTronics
02-27-2011, 01:17 AM
Ok I have been searching the web for quite a while now to find chain sizes and equivalency charts and all that BS to figure out what I need, and what I have concluded is that I need to get a 520 or #50 chain half link. I read that Lowes may have the half link for the #50, and that a lot of people look at you funny if you ask for one for a 520 chain, With the amount of chain stretch I have I am stuck between a rock and a hard place with my adjustments. As is, with the tension as high as it will go I still have too much slack, but when I remove a link and get it as close as possible, it's too damn tight. I am supposed to be going riding tomorrow so if you guys know for a fact that Lowe's or Home Depot or even sears or something like that would have a half link please let me know.

Ironbnder
02-27-2011, 01:25 AM
Sounds like your carrier is not turning all the way from one way to the other. I would not think you should be having such a problem if you have a stock swinger and sprockets.

SonicTronics
02-27-2011, 01:51 AM
Swingarm is stock, sprockets couldn't even begin to tell you what it has. I know one was changed because I remember my buddy telling me he was going to gear it a little taller because 1st gear on the thing is useless and it was changed before. And the carrier is definitely turning all the way, it went all the way around at one point. Which kinda brings up another question, will spinning that entirely around cause anything to loosen, probably a dumb question but wanted to make sure.

bugler30
02-27-2011, 02:29 AM
mark one of the teeth on each sprocket and count them. stock is 13T front and 40T rear with 90 link chain. It sounds like your chain is stretched to the max and is time to replace it. Half-links are a PITA and not really worth the trouble. I have one in the tool box in case of an emergency but it is non o-ring.

as far as the gearing goes I have 12/40 sprockets on mine and it works well for the sand however there is a noticeable loss of speed of the the stock gearing but I like to cruise and do the occasional hill climb so it works well for me. My only complaint is it pops occasionally, I've replaced the carrier and swingarm bearings so my rearend is tight as they come and the chain is adjusted correctly and it is tolerable now compared to what it was, but it STILL does it and never did when I had the 13T on the front even with a worn out carrier and non-existent swingarm bearings.

you must be stretched to just the wrong length cause the adjustment in the carrier has about a links worth of adjustment with a stock rear sprocket (if thats what you have) could be more or less if its a bigger or smaller one.

sittinguy
02-27-2011, 07:37 AM
The small bolt in the middle of the rear of the swinger,, between your carrier pinch bolts, is the bumpstop for carrrier.

I have 13/36 gearing, and I have to cut a link out of my 90 link chains to work.

Sounds like its time for a new chain.

Dirtcrasher
02-27-2011, 01:22 PM
I did an off gearing on my 200X (running a 84R axle) and had to run a Lowe's half link. I ran it about a year, then one day 10 feet from the shop, it snapped. I DO NOT recommend using them. Some have said snowmobile shops have the real 520 half links, who knows...........

These are overseas but DID:

http://cgi.ebay.com/DID-Link-And-Half-530-50-520-420-SIZE-DID-Lin-/290529687516?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item43a4eb37dc

But, they are non o-ring.......

Lboya
02-27-2011, 07:50 PM
http://www.partsstorellc.com/servlet/the-850/Half-Link-%23520/Detail

http://www.partsstorellc.com/servlet/the-3639/Chain%2C-Roller-Chain%2C-Links%2C/Detail