PDA

View Full Version : Question about stators and regulator/rectifier

ssimon_says
02-26-2011, 04:26 PM
I want to use a regualtor/rectifier from an '85 ATC 125m parts bike and a battery to give my '83 185s auxillary dc power and keep the lights going with the engine stopped. While taking apart the 125, i noticed the stators are different so I have a question: what's the difference of the output of the lighting coils on these and is there a reason the regulator/rectifier wont work on the 185.
125m:
185s:

MTS
02-26-2011, 11:15 PM
if you look on the homepage under Wire Diagrams for the 185 one of them Show's how to run a DC system in it, Could use the 125m reg/rec i Think, you would have an extra wire Because its tied into the Ign system on the M, But if its just a simple 4 diode rectifier it should work,,,Might want to look for one off say an XL185.

ssimon_says
02-27-2011, 12:01 PM
I just bought the 125 for $20 mainly for the tires, don't really want to put any more money into this little project other then maybe for a new battery. I was just wondering the difference of the output of the coils. does one have more wattage then the other? They're both A/C right? Just guessing I would say the 125's looks like it would have more power in lower RPMs but I dont know for sure. Also wondering if the stators are interchangeable... when researching and parts shopping I noticed both types of stators are sold for the 125, would they both work in the 185? I would rather have the stock one in there if possible but if it wont work with the rectifier I'd swap them... especially if I could get more power from it at the same time.