PDA

View Full Version : How do you check timng in 200x with timing light?

redskinman
02-24-2011, 09:46 PM
Ive done a search on 200x timing and theres a buttload of pages but i havent found one on using a timing light.Bike is running fine but id like to check timing with light,the problem is the oil blowing out of the hole! The manual doesnt say jack about that.Shine light in hole and look for F is what im trying to do but cant see past the oil blowing out the damn hole.
Thanks

WIkid500
02-24-2011, 10:05 PM
Your supposed to drain the oil then do it....... DON"T DO THAT!!!

I have never set timing in my 200x with a light. As long as the crank at the timing mark on the case lines up to the cam sprocket timing mark on the rocker cover you are good to go. No reason to worry about where the flywheel is, it's keyed to the crank. And for ignition timing it changes with rpm, the weights advance the timing as rpm increases.

hoosierlogger
02-24-2011, 10:05 PM
I use about a 2" piece of rubber hose on my Harley. Just find a piece of hose that will fit in the timing hole, cut it off as square as you can get it on the end. Poke it in the hole till it touches the fly wheel, and pull it back just a smidge. The hose will keep the oil from squirting out the hole at you while you are looking in the hole.

79fordblake
02-24-2011, 10:30 PM
I don't know about a 200x but I know on a 185s that there should not be any oil where the flywheel is at.

WIkid500, you have to see the timing marks on the flywheel to properly set ignition timing. If you can't see the marks when the timing light flashes what good is it doing?

hoosierlogger
02-24-2011, 10:58 PM
Another thing, I dont know if they make them for trikes, but those clear plastic timing plugs are a waste of money. You are supposed to be able to see through them to watch the timing mark. But between the flash of the timing light and the oil on the inside of it, you might as well try to see through the metal plug. LOL

redskinman
02-24-2011, 11:48 PM
Another thing, I dont know if they make them for trikes, but those clear plastic timing plugs are a waste of money. You are supposed to be able to see through them to watch the timing mark. But between the flash of the timing light and the oil on the inside of it, you might as well try to see through the metal plug. LOL

I know thats right! I thought I had a good idea to put saran wrap over the hole,all that did was puddle the oil at bottom of bike and you couldnt see jack thru the oil on the saran wrap :)

redskinman
02-24-2011, 11:51 PM
I don't know about a 200x but I know on a 185s that there should not be any oil where the flywheel is at.

WIkid500, you have to see the timing marks on the flywheel to properly set ignition timing. If you can't see the marks when the timing light flashes what good is it doing?

well we tried it on my buddy's 200x and it does the same thing,so either we both have problems or thats the way it is.
Yeah i dont understand the hose concept either,dont see how youd still see the mark

86trizinger
02-25-2011, 12:33 AM
I did it that way with my 200x.. I had no problem with oil spraying at all.

WIkid500
02-25-2011, 12:37 AM

The flywheel on the 200x is in oil, it's not a dry system on that side of the case.

I have never set timing while running, always turn the flywheel to the marks with a flashlight and set the top end from there...

79fordblake
02-25-2011, 12:40 AM
Your only getting the timing in the "ballpark" by setting it not running. Timing should be adjusted spot on with the engine running.
I use to time my old Ford V8s by ear alot. What a difference it makes putting a timing light on it and adjusting it.

riverrat
02-25-2011, 05:50 AM
The way you time it? Advance it until it pings, then back off a little.

ama009
02-25-2011, 07:28 AM
Thanks for posting the question Redskinman. My question is, should it be like timing a car with the light. ON my car I could see the mark clearly and flash continuosly in the same place. You could easily tell it was dead on. With the 200x, I could see the mark with the flash of the light, but it was never in the same spot.

Also, where should the idle be set to start off? should it be set high or low?

BTW, the oil in the face is a trailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro! :lol::lol:

hoosierlogger
02-25-2011, 08:20 AM
i dont understand the hose concept either,dont see how youd still see the mark

You look through the hole in the middle of the hose to see the mark. The hose walls keeps the oil inside the engine because it creates a seal against the threads and fly wheel.

hillbilly 200x
02-25-2011, 08:23 AM
Just set it by hand bring the crank to TDC with the spark plug out and the drink straw in the spark plug hole to find TDC. Then move the cam until the gear lines up with the mark on the rocker cover. Take the timing adjuster out and push the rod under it down put the timing chain back on make sure every thing is in the right spot and every thing was been torqued to honda specs, put the adjuster bolt back in. I dont not remeber how to adjuster it off hand but, I believe its take the little bolt out that is one top of the adjuster fire the bike up let it run at 1400RPM then put the bolt back in. I may be wrong with that.

WIkid500
02-25-2011, 11:11 AM
The way you time it? Advance it until it pings, then back off a little.

Exactly!!! My ignition plate is at full advance, 10.8:1 compression, premium gas and never once had it detonate even on the hottest of days.

redskinman
02-25-2011, 11:24 AM
Well the bike seems to be running fine,but ive been chastised for not reading the manuual and manual says check it with a timing light so thats what I was trying to do.Doesnt seem like anybody has ever done it that way :)

86T3
02-25-2011, 12:38 PM
redskinman

Well the bike seems to be running fine,but ive been chastised for not reading the manuual and manual says check it with a timing light so thats what I was trying to do.Doesnt seem like anybody has ever done it that way

LMAO!!!! I was hoping you'd give some payback after that tongue lashing you took!!! Well played Sir