PDA

View Full Version : xr200 camsaft issue

kasey200x
02-22-2011, 09:56 PM
Hey guys, finally got the time to assemble my engine. I'm using everything from the base gasket up from a xr200. Everything is fine up to the cam. For some reason the cam bearring will not seperate from the cam shaft. And when it's put in the head, the bearring needs to slide back off the shaft a small bit. Since it does not come off, it causes the bearring not to spin. Any tips?
Also, will i notice a large power increase? From a worn out engine(around 8:1) to an xr engine with a 1.25:1 piston, larger cam, and bigger carb?
Thanks guys.

pcs
02-22-2011, 11:01 PM
try warming up the bearing so it can slide off? or maybe have a machine shop press it out. if all else fail, cut it out =)

Yamaha_Rules69
02-22-2011, 11:02 PM
Is the bearring/bushing siezed onto the cam? Of so, that is not good news, and I would be leary about rinning that cam in an engine of mine. I suppose the correct way to remove it if it is siezed is to use the appropriate puller.

kasey200x
02-23-2011, 12:17 AM
Yeah i think your right. I guess i'll just use the normal cam for now. Thanks for the input.

ironchop
02-23-2011, 03:23 AM
even if you could press it back off, the tiniest scratch on the cam end will cause premature seizure later on even with a new bearing so I`m agreeing with YamahaRules

something is wrong and I wouldn`t use it....could very well destroy the entire topend