PDA

View Full Version : clutch problem.. need some advice

reddawg85
02-21-2011, 07:44 PM
well my 350x finally got put back together rode all day saturday and rode great then all of a sudden it just started slippen and the cltches are like new , so what do u guys think is the probelm, i thought about checkin the springs and try strechten them out a little if that would help?

Dirtcrasher
02-21-2011, 08:10 PM
If the clutch isn't OEM, thats the problem.

The wrong oil can also cause a problem.

New springs should always be used on a new clutch........

reddawg85
02-21-2011, 09:47 PM
i know they are not burnt up they just started acting up out of nowhere..it could be the oil cause i was told to put a lttle motor honey in it evry couple oil changes you think thats the problem? to thick maybe?

1984 honda 200s
02-21-2011, 11:41 PM
well if the clutches act up when warm then its not the oil because the oil would thin out, my clutches act up on a cold take off since oil is thick. i typically run Kendall 10w 40., they musnt be set right or something else going on......

reddawg85
02-22-2011, 07:28 PM
what is the best way to tell if they need replaced? its when there dark and discolored right?

Thorpe
02-22-2011, 08:09 PM
A shine to them... If the slip too hard, they will glaze over, and you will be looking for a fresh clutch again... How did the disc's look when it was apart? Are you using a oil for a wet clutch?

Yamaha_Rules69
02-22-2011, 10:56 PM
reddawg85, there are also measurements you can take note of and compare to the specs in the manual. With a caliper, you can measure the springs, friction disc, and steel discs. I know a lot of manuals say to check the steel discs for warpage, and tell you to use a piece of glass (something flat) and a feeler guage. - But I dont think that is your problem. Just trying to give you some ideas. Good luck!

reddawg85
02-22-2011, 11:07 PM
yamaha-rules--thanx i will check mesurments in my manuel.

thorpe- and yes my clucthes were shiney and glazed and burnt looking ...and i use vavoline -10-40 summer and 10-30 winter convential blend not full syntetic

reddawg85
02-22-2011, 11:10 PM
i went ahead and ordered complete rebuild clutch kit ..should use differnt oil,cause i never had any problems with vavloine but if there is a better oil i can use i will use it instead

Thorpe
02-23-2011, 10:24 AM
I use valvoline atv oil... Any oil that has a wet clutch additive... Alot of people run regular motor oil, but I figure its worth the couple extra bucks to not have to do the clutch again... I put the 10% stiffer springs in when I did the clutch in my BR. May want to use some scothbrite on your steel discs when its apart this time, if you arent replacing them. Also, did you presoak your clutch discs in oil before you installed them?

reddawg85
02-23-2011, 11:21 AM
they are not here yet,but any heads up would be great . how long should i soak them, i hear 1hr,24hrs,30mins, 10mins...what is the time lengnth to soak them?

reddawg85
02-24-2011, 01:28 PM
the center nut that holds the basket on i think 27mm, its says "unstake clutch locknut with drill or grinder" what does it mean by that ? from looking at it i should be able to just loosen and put back on, should i replace it ?

Headsup
02-24-2011, 02:05 PM
Um, As for replacing it, It wouldnt hurt but I doubt its needed..
Also i would just soak em for 24 hours. Or just throw it in over night when u lay down.

hondamaniac
02-24-2011, 02:14 PM
when a nut is staked it means it was punched to hold it on the threads without backing it off. ive heard an seen alot of people just back it off without unstaking it with great success... personally i always try an unstake it before trying to remove it. if you cant an you just back it off then i would replace the nut an re stake it.
hope that helps...

reddawg85
02-24-2011, 02:24 PM
guys i hate to sound dumb but by stacking is that collar wedgeed in betwwen the threads and nut? and how would i restake it in place?

Dirtcrasher
02-24-2011, 04:00 PM
the center nut that holds the basket on i think 27mm, its says "unstake clutch locknut with drill or grinder" what does it mean by that ? from looking at it i should be able to just loosen and put back on, should i replace it ?

Every clutch I've seen has a portion of the washer that slips into the mainshaft, then whichever flat on that washer that aligns best once tightened, you merely fold it back over the center clutch mainshaft nut.

It keeps the clutch from coming apart. Honda says "drill/grind" because in the reassemble portion they'll tell you to discard that washer and use a new one. I'm sure racers do, but most of us look at the washer and if it can be safely folded on the nut again, we do so...........

If you have the type of nut that got center punched into the mainshaft, you have to tap something tapered in there to spread it a bit and then use a flat/ blunt object to clear it of the threads. Usually when you re tighten it after assembly, that staked portion will be off a few degrees; But, even if it's dead on, if you can do so safely, just use a center punch and pound it back into the mainshaft.

Thats how the 86/87 200X basket locks work I believe.

reddawg85
02-24-2011, 04:11 PM
hey thanx that makes sense..will defintley remember that

reddawg85
02-24-2011, 10:02 PM
alrgiht guys i got the nut unstaked but now i cant get it off cuase i dont have a special clutch tool,any other ways to get it off? i dont really want to spend the extra money on a tool

Dirtcrasher
02-24-2011, 10:04 PM
Impact gun is what I've used for 25 years........

You can get a Sears/Craftsmen on sale for 50$ and you'll never regret it. Plenty of power there for what you and I do...............

reddawg85
02-24-2011, 10:13 PM
that is exactly what i was thinking, but wanted to make sure someone else has done it before i did it and jacked it up, getting off is the easy part but putting it on is what i am worried about,my manuel shows 72-84 pounds of torqe i belive.a impact will put somwhere in the neigborhood of that right?

bobr
02-24-2011, 10:26 PM
Make sure you're going in the right direction-some cranks are LH thread;you don't want to ruin a crankshaft. Hold the 2 gears from turning with a penny so they don't turn. It with lock them up,but is soft so they won't be damaged. Bob

reddawg85
02-25-2011, 12:08 AM
thanx for tip bob, u dont know by chance for sur what 350x thread direction is do you?

Hurricane635
02-25-2011, 12:18 AM
The clutch nut is rh, the crank is lh.

reddawg85
02-25-2011, 09:56 AM
so will back it off like any other nut right,"lefty-loosey-righty-tighty..lol thanx guys u have been a good help to me i will let u guys know if i need anything else..the reason i have been asking so much questions is this was my fisrt big build and being a 350x i want it done right.

Dirtcrasher
02-25-2011, 03:14 PM
OMFG - You mean you still don't read the manual?? It explains LH or RH.

Man, you guys are killing wheelers faster than there born date :mad: