PDA

View Full Version : 1984 ATC 250r Hard to start!!!! Please Help

feo_nuts
02-21-2011, 12:53 PM
Hello all! Lets see what I can ask for today acting like its the end of my life! I got my 250r up and going on when I first got it it basically had an open airbox. Let me explain. It has an oversize (not sure of exact size) Mikuni carb on it. On the back of the carb (going into airbox) it had just an old make-shift boot. It looks like they cut the original boot and just butted it up against the airbox. So it essentially was suckin straight air. So I got to lookin to match up a boot and I am to cheap to pay 20-40 bux for a Mikuni boot. So I got a basic PVC plumbing boot and cut about an inch off and clamped on end to the carb, and the other end to the box. DONE right!? Apparently not. It has been real hard to start here lately and I think its because of air restriction. The air filter is fairly dirty but nothing to restrictive. It seemed to start just fine before the mod. Now I have to take out the plug, check for spar, cycle it a few times to get air in the cylinder. Put the plug back and and it'll start if im lucky. Seems to have no problems after that. So I have been thinking about doing away wtih the airbox completely. Is this ok? Would it run alright with just a k&n clamped directly to the Mikuni? What should I do. Help me out everyone! Thanks :)

Headsup
02-21-2011, 07:16 PM
Hell i ran mine without a air filter or box Just a sock on the end of the carb and it ran fine, Check your jets, make sure there not clogged..
Doesnt sound like an air problem sounds like a fuel problem