PDA

View Full Version : silicone gaskits?

H95Shooter
02-19-2011, 10:04 PM
Ok I went to my ATV repair store and asked if they had a gaskit for my 110 pull starter.
He said no but you could just use silicone. So is it a good idea? :wondering

texas 185s
02-19-2011, 10:49 PM
there is a product that makes silicone gaskets. it can be found at most auto parts stores.
RTV gasket sealant (http://www.google.com/#q=rtv+silicone+gasket+maker&hl=en&safe=off&prmd=ivns&source=univ&tbs=shop:1&tbo=u&sa=X&ei=lYBgTbnkHdG5tgfT-amMDA&ved=0CE0QrQQ&biw=1366&bih=585&bav=on.1,or.&fp=b4a69e3db245d910)

if your talking about using silicone out of a caulk gun, then im wondering too. i need to make a gasket for my pull starter too

hope this helps

H95Shooter
02-19-2011, 10:52 PM
if your talking about using silicone out of a caulk gun, then im wondering too. i need to make a gasket for my pull starter too
I am talking about the caulk gun. I just want to get off cheap beacuse im going to put new stuff on my sled and that is not very cheap.

blkstangman88
02-19-2011, 10:56 PM
ya itll work, i try to stick to normal gaskets as much as i can but if the need calls id use rtv black silicone. itll resist oil better and not break down

texas 185s
02-19-2011, 11:01 PM
i did some googling. id say it would be okay to use, but not as a permanent sealer. the silicone will eventually dry out. i would not use it on such things as a head gasket because the excess would ooze into the motor and such. but since it is the pull starter, id say its okay. just dont apply unnecessary amounts

briano
02-19-2011, 11:23 PM
If you're going to use silicone, at least use an RTV automotive type of stuff, the black should work just fine. Or you could go without a gasket, two of my trikes have no gasket for the recoil and I have no problems.

H95Shooter
02-19-2011, 11:49 PM
If you're going to use silicone, at least use an RTV automotive type of stuff, the black should work just fine. Or you could go without a gasket, two of my trikes have no gasket for the recoil and I have no problems Its going on my hunting/fishing/trapping trike so im going to ride through water.

1984 honda 200s
02-20-2011, 10:55 AM
i used the caulk type silicone for my 200s pull starter, no problems. if your going to ride threw water then put enough of it on. you dont want to be shorting out your stator coil and lighting coil under the flywheel because of water gettomg in , ive had this happen to me before NOT FUN!!

shortline10
02-20-2011, 11:09 AM
Auto parts stores sell gasket material and probably the same price as buying silicone caulk . Not that hard to cut out gaskets and its the better way to do it IMO .

200XMichigan
02-20-2011, 11:52 AM
Auto parts stores sell gasket material and probably the same price as buying silicone caulk . Not that hard to cut out gaskets and its the better way to do it IMO .

Super easy to cut a gasket, you can all use old bullet shells to punch out circles for where the screws go through.