PDA

View Full Version : Where to straighten forks

pantera1975
02-19-2011, 01:18 AM
I got 2 250R's and 1 fork on each of them leaked all the oil out after a couple rides. I used ATF and pro molly leak proof seals. Is there brand of seals better and where can I take the tubes and have them straighten? I can make a fixture and check them with a dial indicator first. I got some Amsoil 10w to try. ATF seamed kinda soft to me. And to fill them should I add the CC's it says and call it good or measure the oil height and cycle the fork? I've red it both ways on here.

hang&rattle
02-19-2011, 01:46 AM
Dirtcrasher's the straitening fella you want to talk to, he da man.

Thorpe
02-19-2011, 01:57 AM
DC is the man... But ditch those crappy "leak proof" seals... They are a sham...

goodgreenbandit
02-19-2011, 02:09 AM
DC will straighten my forks!! Awesome, I was looking for something for him to do for me! Seems like he's the cat's meow here on 3ww. :)

pantera1975
02-19-2011, 10:52 AM
When I rebuilt them both the same day the 1 kinda cycled harder than the other and leaked right away the other ones I did were alright til It got to zezo out in december then there was a puddle of oil under it. Whats a good brand? lookig for imput thanks

Dirtcrasher
02-19-2011, 10:57 AM
I never use anything but Honda OEM dust and oil seals......

And yes, I straighten forks the best I can within the Honda specs.

jeffatc250r
02-19-2011, 01:11 PM
Ive had good luck with the ten dollar seals. Often its the bushings that are the culprit. Bad bushings that are worn and missing the teflon coating can wipe out a pair of seals within hours.
9 out of ten times the forks bend right below the trip trees and dont affect the seals since they dont go that far. Just makes for a funky handling ride.

jeffatc250r
02-19-2011, 01:14 PM
Also, im a lil on the large side and found atf dont work for me. I use stright 30wt motor oil and they are perfect for me.
Dont be afraid to try diff types until you find what you like, its cheap and easy to change the oil.