PDA

View Full Version : "84 ATC200S Decomp Cable Proper Installation W/ Decompression Ring...Hook Case Ring

mirthgrinder
02-17-2011, 11:04 PM
After many trials and errors, I think that I have found an easier way of performing this installation than what is listed in the free Manual listed online. It is very vague... If I get some interest, I will post Pictures, and step by step description... Let me know! I think that this applies to 185's as well...

dc8fixer
02-17-2011, 11:14 PM
I'm interested. Does it make a big difference on force required to pull the recoil? I took them off mine, because everyone said they were nothing but trouble. I would be interested in putting it back on if it made pulling a lot easier. On another note. I saw dennis kirk sold a recoil rope that was steel. I wonder if that works well?

1984 honda 200s
02-19-2011, 10:05 PM
i removed mine because it always slipped, it never worked properly.... the 200s/ 185s are easy to pull over. id say no need for the decomp. set up...

3wheelrider
02-21-2011, 08:35 AM
After many trials and errors, I think that I have found an easier way of performing this installation than what is listed in the free Manual listed online. It is very vague... If I get some interest, I will post Pictures, and step by step description... Let me know! I think that this applies to 185's as well...
I'd like to see your tips/details/methods. I believe I & others have inquired about reinstalling details but dont get too many responces or info.- I think its a great idea for thread in the "World Class" section.-depending how you do. :lol:

oscarmayer
02-21-2011, 11:01 AM
your better off getting a thumb lever or jsut removign the cable and pulling the lever up at the head and using it that way (simular to a thumb lever) as the cable tend causes issues and wear out fairly quickly.

3wheelrider
02-21-2011, 11:15 AM
your better off getting a thumb lever or jsut removign the cable and pulling the lever up at the head and using it that way (simular to a thumb lever) as the cable tend causes issues and wear out fairly quickly.

Totally aware of that.....I removed my cable with (low hours) and original rope but when it 1st started acting up I just removed it (With a high comp. piston). It would still be helpful topic to know a good way to assemble it which is the point of this thread.

dc8fixer
02-21-2011, 05:56 PM
i guess the original poster lost interest. Anyhow has anyone used the steel replacement cable dennis kirk sells? I assume it is to replace the rope. seems like cheap insurance to prevent broken ropes?

mirthgrinder
02-21-2011, 10:34 PM
Nope! Still here. I'll get some pics this weekend and post them. I still have not figured out how to post pics...Is there a thread?

1984 honda 200s
02-21-2011, 10:55 PM
a steel cable rope replacement ? really? i bet that would work well, better than snapping ropes. i still got my original one yet, but id like more info on this cable replacement!

hoosierlogger
02-22-2011, 07:06 AM
Ill bet a steel cable would wear the guide out on the recoil housing real fast.

trikes4life
02-22-2011, 12:30 PM
Ill bet a steel cable would wear the guide out on the recoil housing real fast.

You can say that again..

trikes4life
02-22-2011, 12:36 PM
I Have been through this over the last 20years, replacing rope. You'll have nope problem just need actual RECOIL Rope, not cloths line.

dc8fixer
02-22-2011, 05:48 PM
I am just wanting to know if anyone has used it before? Here is what it looks like.

http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/product_catalog/Product.jsp?skuId=51291&store=Main&catId=&productId=p51291&leafCatId=&mmyId=11761

I guess if no one replies. I will be the guinea pig and try it. Its only a $10 experiment. If it destroys the recoil housing so be it.

1984 honda 200s
02-22-2011, 11:15 PM
i was thinking plastic covered recoil rope, like stuff thay would use on a chain saw recoil starter...... i bet it would work well too, its pretty tough...and it wont destroy your housing lol!!!!