PDA

View Full Version : Sloppy shifter on my 84 Big Red

deeredoug
02-16-2011, 12:11 PM
I have been searching around and havn't found info. on how to fix or adjust the slop in the shifter. Is it a hard job and can it be done? It still shifts fine but it would be nice to tighten it up.

Flossyb20
02-16-2011, 11:52 PM
Its a really easy thing to do. On the right side of your engine, between the dipstick and the plastic cover, you should see a 17mm nut threaded onto a bolt with a slot in the end of it. Loosen the nut, then use a flat screwdriver to adjust the bolt until you don't have anymore slop in the shifter, I believe you need to turn in counter clockwise, but I may be mistaken..you'll know if its wrong if the shifter gets worse. Adjust it to where the shifter just firms up, anymore and you'll be engaging the clutch, and burning it up too. Hope this helps....

zppeacock
02-17-2011, 12:04 AM
Does the shifter not return when shifting? Mine does this also, its the shift return spring, the side cover needs to come off both clutches, spacer, and then pull the shifter shaft out. I put a new spring on my $6 and it work good for like 2 days and its back to what it was.