PDA

View Full Version : 84 200ES Engine trouble

88capewrangler
02-16-2011, 11:43 AM
hey guys , my 84 big red stopped working for me out of the blue recently , i had the timing adjusted , carb rebuilt.. basically just a good tune up. she worked great for a while , it sat for about 3 weeks went to get her going and the battery was dead so i threw the charger on , but it still wont run.. it will catch for a second or two then die. what do you guys think it would be ?

hillbilly 200x
02-16-2011, 12:01 PM
take the plug out and see what it looks like if it is went then you are getting to much fule if it is dry then your not getting any fule and your carb may be dirty agen. hope this helps

Silverado
02-16-2011, 12:04 PM
Yell at it. Have a beer. Apologize. look at your plug, make sure the kill switch is not on. trouble shoot from there

88capewrangler
02-16-2011, 01:47 PM
will do , thanks fellas

tri again
02-16-2011, 03:34 PM
If it was mine, I'd see if the plug was bone dry and maybe try to keep it running for a few extra seconds with start fluid.
If it runs like that, it's a fuel prob.

Screen in the petcock clogged?
People sometimes turn my gas tank cap vent to OFF and always pss me off because I'm too blind to check it

Easy too is to loosen the float bowl carb drain screw with the gas off and see if it fills a tuna can.

Turn the gas back on and see if it runs some more.

Intermittent spark is usually less predictable and often temp related or bad connections on the 84 and they don't throw spark at all.

As I recall, one 84 es would NOT throw spark with the starter but would with kick.