PDA

View Full Version : The beast lives

phantombiker
02-15-2011, 08:55 PM
hey guys...as you know i recently got my first trike, an 85 tri-z, which is a fixer upper. well, i got the beast to fire up today. yes...i was sporting wood!!! major things right now to fix are brakes, clutch adjustment (?), tires front and back, and exhaust which had been franken-welded together at the head pipe. hell, it wasnt even bolted to the cylinder! needless to say i took the exhaust off. question 1...if i can wipe oil from inside the exhaust port...is that normal?!?! question 2...how much is involved with brake work? ...thx for reading. Mark

Yamaha_Rules69
02-15-2011, 09:34 PM
Yes, oil in the exhaust spigot is normal, as the 2 stroke burns oil/gas mix in the comubstion chamber. For the brakes, what is wrong with them? Do they just need to be bled, pads, or do they need a nebuild?

phantombiker
02-15-2011, 09:43 PM
Yes, oil in the exhaust spigot is normal, as the 2 stroke burns oil/gas mix in the comubstion chamber. For the brakes, what is wrong with them? Do they just need to be bled, pads, or do they need a nebuild?

about the gas...thats what i thought. just wasnt sure. the brakes...front caliper isnt on it but i have it and there's a hose line attached to it thats about 14 or 16 inches long with a circle fitting at the end. the rear caliper is there but the rear brakes dont work and i know nothing about trike brakes. i do have a front brake lever with resivoir but its not attached.

Yamaha_Rules69
02-15-2011, 09:52 PM
I would attach all that you have, and see what you are missing. If you have everything, add brake fluid to the resovoir, and see if you can get any pressure to build up by pumping the lever. Hold the lever in, and crack open the bleeder valve for a second or two. Tighten it back up, and pump the brakes some more, and crack it again, until you have pressure at the lever. Its just like bleeding the brakes on a car, when you have someone hold the pedal down. Look in the manual, and it will better explain other methods / troubleshooting for the brake system. Good luck!

phantombiker
02-15-2011, 10:00 PM
thats the thing. i know that all of it is not there. also, how does the exhaust attach at the cylinder? there are no studs for bolting on. am i missing (no pun intended) something?

Jason125m
02-15-2011, 10:02 PM
there should be two studs, Most likely broken off

Xpress
02-15-2011, 10:09 PM
thats the thing. i know that all of it is not there. also, how does the exhaust attach at the cylinder? there are no studs for bolting on. am i missing (no pun intended) something?

There should be a few places to hook springs onto to hold the exhaust on. Not kidding..

phantombiker
02-15-2011, 11:02 PM
there should be two studs, Most likely broken off

how easy of a fix is that??

Xpress...there was a spring holding the head pipe...LMAO!!!!!

kristofrogers
02-15-2011, 11:21 PM
Actually a lot of 2 strokes are that way, springs aren't all that crazy lol.
Here's a pic of mine being held on with springs. Not the best pic but you can see it on the right side
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v302/shablaca/IMG_0127.jpg

phantombiker
02-15-2011, 11:39 PM
how do you fix the broken off studs and also, how much is exhaust? i will need the whole system.

MTS
02-15-2011, 11:43 PM
There are No studs holding the pipe to the cyl, Just 3 springs, 2 on the upper, 1 on the down side, and 2 Rubber mounts further down the pipe/silencer.

Xfile
02-15-2011, 11:45 PM
There are no broken studs...the tri Z exhaust is held on by three springs...you should have two springs going from upper two loops on the headpipe to the cast in loop on the front of the cylinder and one spring going from the lower loop on the headpipe to a tab bolted under the right front cylinder stud bolt.

phantombiker
02-15-2011, 11:54 PM
2 rubber mounts...check. 1 very weak spring only...check. 1 very irritated trike owner...check check check!!!!

Xfile
02-15-2011, 11:57 PM
I just picked up some springs from the hardware store for my budget Z....they worked fine.

phantombiker
02-16-2011, 12:12 AM
really...i figured being right on the cylinder and pipe they would be special made or something to resist being weaken by the heat. thats pretty cool...lol

Xfile
02-16-2011, 12:18 AM
nah...they will work fine..the pipe gets hot...but not the kind of heat thats will effect the springs.

phantombiker
02-16-2011, 12:21 AM
i always learn something on this site...lol...thx aaron