PDA

View Full Version : Replace Muffler Gasket With New One (Where muffler meets pipe)

3-wheelin
02-15-2011, 08:08 PM
This is for my 225dx

I am taking my pipe off to sand and paint and I bought a new oem muffler. I bought a gasket for the pipe coming out of my head for around $7. My question is, do I need the gasket that goes between the muffler inlet and the pipe outlet (where it clamps down). The reason I'm asking is that the gasket is $45 and the guy at yamaha said I should be good with the existing one if it hasn't been clamped over and over again. To my knowledge, the muffler has never been removed.

Any info would be great!

1984 honda 200s
02-15-2011, 10:27 PM
when i tore appart my 200s exhaust to sand it, the gasket between header and muffler broke appart in my hand, so since that happened it sounds like an exhaust leak which it is... your exhaust will leak without that gasket. im almost positive your gasket will come appart in your hand and you will have a leaking exhaust, best to relace it. If you dont and you put it all back together, you will notice right away what im talking about...

3-wheelin
02-16-2011, 07:11 AM
what type of material is the gasket made out of? I was under the impression it was some type of metal. There is absolutely no rust on my muffler. This is the gasket that runs right between the muffler and header pipe. Not between the head and the header pipe.

hublake
02-16-2011, 07:50 AM
The times that I have done this on my Hondas, the material that makes up the gasket just falls apart. On Hondas it is not metal but some sort of high temp material. I have replaced it with new but the cost has never been any where near $45.00. I will probably find out what you are talking as I am getting a Yamaha 225dx this weekend to fix up.

rdlsz24
02-16-2011, 11:16 AM
It does look like it is pricey, kinda weird. I found it on Kennedy's Cycle for $22 plus shipping. Those gaskets on Hondas are cheap.

Rob

TheBlueWale
02-16-2011, 12:55 PM
You would be better off buying a copper pipe of the same diameter and size and making your own gaskets out of it rather than buying one of the yamaha gaskets. The whole idea about the Honda gaskets is that they are suppose to stick/cling onto both the surfaces that they touch and it creates a "sealing effect". You may want to consider buying a Honda gasket instead of the Yamaha one(due to the price difference), I would post the inner and outer diameter of the yamaha gasket and some Honda guy can probably tell you what Honda gasket would work.