PDA

View Full Version : 1984 Honda 200es big red Vs. 1984 Yamaha 225DX

vartz04
02-13-2011, 06:58 PM
I need to decide which one of these I want to buy. The honda and yamaha are in similar condition with the slight advantage to the yamaha.

I just would like to know which you guys think would be better for me.

I will be using it for trail riding 50% of the time and the other 50% of the time for working fuctions (I have a small trailer id like to be able to tug around, move firewood haul stuff down to the fire pit for when I have bonfires, yard work clean up ect)

From what I understand with the Honda I get reverse and with the Yamaha i get a rear suspension any other significant advantages to either one?

vartz04
02-14-2011, 12:29 PM
I am sure this is something thats been covered before but I cant find anything via search help me out guys.

sx250heath
02-14-2011, 02:55 PM
I have never ridden the Yamaha but thought it was closer to the Honda SX, a bit sportier then the big red. If you are like me you will find the sportier the funner (that's why i sold my SX when i got my 200X).

350Xccelerator
02-14-2011, 03:21 PM
Id take the DX over the Big Red anyday based on the full suspension the DX has.

WIkid500
02-14-2011, 03:57 PM
Take the DX, it has suspension and yammi's are dead reliable. Haha I used dead and reliable in the same sentence... Really though I have a ytm-200 and it has taken all the punishment I can give it, including being sunk in a pond.

vartz04
02-14-2011, 08:31 PM
pretty much what I was thinking thanks guys.

Lil Earl
02-14-2011, 08:47 PM
take the yamaha, i got a 85 dx, the full suspension is great, the non reverse comes to a slight disadvantage sometimes but, as long as you think things through, especially with the trailer, you should be fine, and i can completely agree with the reliable part, before i bought it off my uncle, he had it for at least 15 years, all he would use it for was trappin in the winter for a while and he said that it would sit all summer long, then when he needed it, 2 pulls and it would start right up, then later when i was old enough to ride with him, we would give it a good beating in the mud and trails, all those years, the only major thing he had to do was replace the rear bearings. then when he broke his back, it sat in the shed for 3 or 4 years till i bought it, all i did was clean out the air box cause the animals made a nest in there from insulation, oil change, clean the crab cause it was leaking out the drain and it started up, this thing has not let either one of us down yet.

Ol Deuce
02-14-2011, 09:01 PM
If it was a '85 Big Red I would say go with the BR.... the hard ride of the '84 & older BR don't really cut it! Do the Yamaha you will like the ride Ol Deuce

muthey
02-14-2011, 11:44 PM
I own both of those trikes, and I guess it will really depend on how much are you going to want to go in reverse, I love my dx, but if I was going to need reverse, with tight places then I would go with the es