PDA

View Full Version : Need wiring help on a "81 185s

doughdog
02-10-2011, 09:47 PM
Ok, I just scored a "81 185s for $25. The problem is it's been sitting for years, and someone stole the pull start and the cdi box(the little box next to the coil?)and rats have ate all of the wiring that was accessable to them. I have a repair manuel for it, but it dosn't list what color wires go where. It feels like it has good compression, but my compression gague does not fit the small spark plug hole, so I'm trying to figure out how to make it run without spending a bunch of money. Can enyone give me a wiring diagram of what goes where, or how to hotwire it to see if it even runs before I go spending a bunch of money on it? Any hely is greately appreciated. Thanks Dough

Yamaha_Rules69
02-10-2011, 09:57 PM
It should show you a wiring diagram in the back of the manual, if not, check here, do a search for service manuals, and you will get an idea. If it is in that kind of condition, you have to expect to spend a little money on it, it not going to repair or replace worn parts on its own.
It may be easier to buy a complete wiring harness, and CDI if the wires are that far gone. I have seen wiring harnesses on ebay for that model sell for about $10 or less. Just keep an eye out on there if you think you need one.

MonroeMike
02-10-2011, 10:43 PM
http://www.3wheelerworld.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=85508&d=1261801756

or page 19-15

http://www.oscarmayer.net/atc/manuals/honda/Honda_ATC185s_200_Service_Manual.pdf

doughdog
02-10-2011, 11:14 PM
Thanks Monroe thats just what I need. That should help me to see if it runs befor I dump any money in it.

doughdog
02-10-2011, 11:25 PM
Yamaha I don't think you understand my problem. Even If I buy a cdi and wiring harness there is nothing to plug it into. I would need the pigtails off off everything electrical to make a harness work. I need to build my own wiring harness.

1984 honda 200s
02-10-2011, 11:57 PM
so make your own wireing harness, its not hard, i had to make one for my 200s. goes from STATOR COIL- pulse generator- coil- spark plugg. then put a kill switch/ light swtich inbetween and tail light or in my case blue neons LOL :))