PDA

View Full Version : Centrifugal clutch or just the discs?

Heaven
02-10-2011, 09:33 PM
Alright, Ive got a ATC250SX and the clutch has been progressively getting worse and worse ever since my smart grandfather put in dura lube with the oil, (I think this is why anyway) Anyway, after a mud ride last weekend, I could not get it up the ramps inton the back of my truck in first gear, goes in gear with a lound clunk then just revs and goes no where, no earlier while riding, take off was slow, and then gunning it in 3rd or 4th gear got me nowhere, just revved up. So I figured I just change the whole thing right?

Howdy
02-10-2011, 09:58 PM
Sounds like the "manual" clutch disk are wore out / going bad. If it was the centrifical clutch going bad the bike would move at high engine speeds, but not at lower engine speeds.
The manual clutch is actually the cheaper of the 2 to fix, so your in luck.
Howdy

Thorpe
02-10-2011, 10:37 PM
Agree with Howdy...

Heaven
02-10-2011, 11:20 PM
Thanks howdy, but I think Its the c clutch, today when I went to put it in my truck it moved a little but when I reved it real high, it just caught and flew up the ramps

tri again
02-11-2011, 12:22 AM
flush the dura out of it, new oil and adjust the clutch??
Is it automatic?

Did it used to run great, then add duralube and how long did it take to go bad?

Heaven
02-11-2011, 08:06 AM
Yeah, it use to run great, after duralube, IDK maybe a year or two, but I just recently got it for a year it was barley ridden, stored at my grandpas house.

tri again
02-12-2011, 04:46 AM
Yeah, it use to run great, after duralube, IDK maybe a year or two, but I just recently got it for a year it was barley ridden, stored at my grandpas house.

duralube is like teflon flakes, about as durable as a cheap non stick frying pan.

Change the oil with generic 10 40 AND the filter,
adjust the clutch, ride it, change the oil again and you should be fine.

I got lazy and just dump oil out the fill hole and refill when I have a few of these to do.

Not the right way but cleaner oil is better than dirtier, right?

Heaven
02-13-2011, 12:26 AM
duralube is like teflon flakes, about as durable as a cheap non stick frying pan.

Change the oil with generic 10 40 AND the filter,
adjust the clutch, ride it, change the oil again and you should be fine.

I got lazy and just dump oil out the fill hole and refill when I have a few of these to do.

Not the right way but cleaner oil is better than dirtier, right?

Alright, ill try that and see if it works.