PDA

View Full Version : 84R Head gasket questions .. .

Toledo_Tommy
02-10-2011, 05:35 PM
I got my bike completely tore apart. The jug has been sent out , getting a mx port n polish as well as a bore and fresh piston. Now I was thinking about milling the head but there is not much there to really take off the lip. Is there a different (thinner) gasket i can use maybe for a cr250r or something ? Any input would be great , Thanks

cr480r
02-10-2011, 06:29 PM
You should wait til your cylinder is installed so you can check your current squish clearance before making any changes. Your head may have been milled previously or your jug may have been decked.

Russell 350X
02-10-2011, 07:04 PM
Defiantly check squish first before you do any milling. I don't know of any gaskets that are thinner that work, but I'm sure there's one out there.

Toledo_Tommy
02-10-2011, 07:40 PM
No, It's all stock . This isn't my first build but my first air cooled R build, I have rebuilt many other bikes. This was a complete stock 84R on a .40 bore , even the reeds were stock. Just cleaning up the cylinder maybe .50 or .60 over what ever the shop thinks is best. It's going to be running a 36mm carb , free flow uni filter , reed spacer, vforce3 reeds, mx port n polish , fresh bore , piston , It's also piped. It should get up and boogie with these upgrades , i'm thinking anyways.

tpit8787
02-10-2011, 07:50 PM
try replacing your base gasket with a thin layer of hondabond

cr480r
02-10-2011, 07:57 PM
If its got a .040" overbore somebody has had that thing apart... it would be nearly impossible to tell if the head was stock unless you have another one for comparison.. Even if it is stock the clearance needs to be checked before milling or else you are asking for trouble.

Toledo_Tommy
02-10-2011, 08:10 PM
It's stock but i will double check , it's been -10 degrees with wind chill here in Ohio so once i get back out to the garage i'll check again. It was bored .40 almost ten years ago by the previous owner who ran it to lean back then. It sat in a barn for many years , Besides the bore and pipe is all stock (metal reeds still) . Thanks for all the input , i will check the squish and go from there just to be safe. I just heard from buddies that you can use a old cr250 gasket thats like .30 thinner and just wanted to make sure.