PDA

View Full Version : Nice 86 200s is it worth the $$$ ?

Trikeboss
02-09-2011, 12:14 AM
I have been lurking around here for months and am looking to get back into wheelin' and have been searching for the right honda 200/185s
I had a tri moto125 and KLT also an 81 185s years ago....

Im picking up a nice 86 200s with new tires and protaper bars for $600 tomorrow...but I have found some 185/200s for $300-$500 but none were a 1986 and none in this nice of condition...Just wondering what peoples opinions were on this trike for the price...Im thinking of getting it even though its priced a bit hight since I have seen nothing even close condition wise nor have a seen another 86 for sale....

What do ya think?

The other trike I was looking at is an 81 185s for $350 not as mint...

:beer

tri again
02-09-2011, 12:26 AM
The link worked as an email reply for me. so I couldn't see it.

Good thing I can't buy it.

Pretty is nice , minty is always refreshing, low hours and good running, Perfect shifting is most important.

Poor running can always be a good buying point.

I have ugly trikes that I call theft proof. and no one even wants to ride them.

My mint 87 and 86 STAY locked out of sight and we ride the others.

Kinda depends on what you want.

If it was a br or sx or x or r model that would go up in value the minute you bought it, well, you can't lose.

Maybe the 86 's' is super rare.

I know I've never seen one.

Trikeboss
02-09-2011, 12:38 AM
The guy has owned it since the early 90s and has the title card....and said its all original other than the back plastics/tires/handlbars...

tri again
02-09-2011, 04:58 AM
You have to copy and paste it into good to view the link...

Welp? Since no one has chimed in, I'll try a generic rundown.

CL is funny. Sometimes stuff stays posted for days and sometimes it disappears immediately. Sometimes people will buy them out from under us too if we tell too many people or so I've heard from stories on here.

I saw 2 85 's' models the guy wanted a grand for the pair, orig owner, well cared for but not pristine.
For that kinda $$ I'd rather have full suspension and electric start with reverse, but the hardtails are better for mud or flattrack dirt slides or something. and ok for the dunes too.

I try to have one collector quality specimen of each model and a few of each to use around the farm and I mean we work them..dragging trees and trucks and farm implements and there is nothing that can replace them in this geology.

There's a list on here somewhere that states the production numbers of each model but I seriously doubt you would lose on 600 for that thing, unless it got spiffed up and mickeymoused together and just looks nice with aftermkt plastics etc.

If I wanted them, I get the nice one to hide as a future barn find/sunday driver and a cheaper one to use and keep it in the back of the truck.

I have a few 185/200 models already, some with front suspension, some without but no real need to absolutely have a prettypretty86 to fill out a collection.

They are, no doubt, monster machines and definitely worth having around.

200XMichigan
02-09-2011, 11:23 AM
$600 for a minty nice one is always better than $350 for a beat down turd. You'll easily put the $250 into fixing the other one (usually). And it still won't be as nice as one that was taken care of for the last 25 years.

Trikeboss
02-09-2011, 04:12 PM
MI200x-

...Thats what im thinking at this point......The guy with the 200s is gone until this weekend now but he said he would hold it for me..but I just got an e-mail on a
WTB ad I had and someone has a 1984 200x in good shape for $600 and it is local!
Im going to look at the 200x first...I hope it runs and its decent.. if it is.. $600 about
right on the price??? What problems should I look for? Is this a good trike? Pros and cons of the 84 200x?

and yes I have been using the search function :cool:

Trikeboss
02-09-2011, 10:20 PM
So its between the minty 1986 200s and 1984 200x for about the same price...

Im buying it to goof around on my little 1acre yard and pull a little yard trailer for yard work and some trail riding and mudding wheelies...winter river running ect...

What would you pick and why?

Tbcoplin
02-09-2011, 10:26 PM
For the same price, assuming they are in the same condition, I prefer the 200x. I like the sport 3 wheelers and the manual clutch seems to give me a grin. If it makes u feel better to know, I just sold a mint 85 200x for $2500

Trikeboss
02-09-2011, 11:03 PM
Is the 200x really that much faster? The guy with the 200s claims he is neck and neck with a 200x utill 40+MPH He said the same for when he races a 250 Big Red?!?

1984 honda 200s
02-10-2011, 12:03 AM
a stock 200s does around 55mph. 80-85 klms an hours. id say it mite keep up with an X but not a 2fitty big red. just my 5 cents.

Trikeboss
02-10-2011, 12:45 AM
Well I got some more info on the 200x and there was a catch...It has a "miss in the clutch" he said it worked fine then it just started to "miss" so im going to pass on the 200x since it needs work! and buy the 86 200s that the guy has owned since 1990 and got it from his bro in law who got it new..so I guess I would be the 3rd owner..its always been kept inside and it shows :) I think the little 200s will suit my needs I just need to find a ball hitch for it..maybe a rack...

muthey
02-10-2011, 02:04 AM
I have a rack as well for a 200, have to ask my wife if she really wants it or not, before I try and sell it

bugler30
02-10-2011, 02:58 AM
I've got one to... for a big red, IDK if they are different for the s. too bad you aren't closer I have an e and es that would make great work horses.

200XMichigan
02-10-2011, 11:09 AM
The 200S will be a great trike. It will tow a trailer and be fun on trails. I had seen a picture of someone who welded a hitch to the rear carrier on the 200X but it didn't seem like a great idea due to the way the chain adjusts on the 200X. And every trike that was designed with full suspension and a hitch was shaft drive.

Trikeboss
02-10-2011, 02:29 PM
Ok well I have the 200s lined up to buy this weekend but I have one other trike to look at tomorrow...Its a:

1985 Big Red 250... everything works its in great shape and it looks like it has most the honda factory extras!..and new tires..the only thing wrong is the muffler is starting to rust out but the rest of the trike looks very nice..no rust and the original plastic only has one small repair..the guy claims he has owned it for the past 20 years and the picture tells me its very clean and all original...He said he would take $600 and I said $500 and Ill come pick it up. Im waiting to hear back from him...My question to you trike heads... is $600 a good price? Would you pick the BR over the 200s? If they were both in good running shape for the same $ Im looking for a good "all around" type trike...

AutoXer
02-10-2011, 03:20 PM
the br in the condition you posted is worth 800-1000 buy it and be good to it and it will treat you well it is shaft drive has reverse electric start and suspension and front and rear racks

200XMichigan
02-10-2011, 03:32 PM
250ES all the way. It has full suspension and a better ride than the 200S, its heavier but also can really work when you want it too. I picked up a 250ES that isn't near that nice for $600 and I felt like I got a great deal. Mine was rolled, had bent handle bars and a dented gas tank and came with Carlisle Turfbusters which might be the only tires worse than a trailpro. But the thing ran great, the one you are talking about sounds 100X nicer, I would grab it even if he doesn't take $500. I would call him and go and get it.

The 250ES can do anything, and it rides really good. It will also go through mud and snow like you wouldn't believe.

Trikeboss
02-10-2011, 04:19 PM
I talked with the owner of the big red again...He said no way on $500 but said he would take $600 and that is the same price as the 86 200s I was going to buy...
So im going with the BR 250 :) and should be picking it up tomorrow...

I tried to post a pic of the BR to my album...

http://www.3wheelerworld.com/album.php?albumid=745

cosmohawk
02-10-2011, 04:40 PM
I wouldn't say that they're "bad"...probably just cheap. Hard to get someone to invest good money in tires, if they're just trying to sell the bike.

In terms of attaching a picture...you can do it directly in the message, or load it up from your picture gallery via a linky-poo...

Trikeboss
02-10-2011, 04:50 PM
Not the best pic but let me know what ya think!

200XMichigan
02-10-2011, 05:05 PM
That's the same tires mine had, oh well. They suck in snow but I guess they hold air. The 250ES is awesome. You won't regret it, even if it came with no tires. I put these on my 250ES and it goes through anything now.

http://www.atvtirestore.com/super_grip_super_light_atv_tires.html

TurfBuster unfortunately are bad, they cost about the same as the tires I replaced them with, and weighted about 2X as much and had no traction in snow. That being said you are getting a great deal on a trike.

Trikeboss
02-10-2011, 07:07 PM
Its all good with the tires..Ill use um hard for a while then put some nice lights on it and enjoy the upgrade :)

First things first..try it/buy it...get it home!

Ill post some sexy pics of that beast when its all cleaned up :naughty:

Trikeboss
02-11-2011, 05:49 PM
Got it home :) Im it's third owner....85 BR 250 es...and I got it for $500 :)
The guy I got it from was in his 70s and said he used it almost everyday since
1987 searching around his 80 acres for cool stuff to hand up in his garage..no joke...Its a cream puff for sure...but...the tires do suck even though they are new!!!!! Can not wait to put some real tires on it..also it has no kick start that i can see? It started with just a tap of the start button though and it purrrrrrrrrs!

Shes a keeper :D

200XMichigan
02-11-2011, 07:13 PM
Nice score. Wish mine had been taken care of like that by its previous owners. Great trikes.

AutoXer
02-12-2011, 07:22 PM
kick is under the right side panel

Trikeboss
02-12-2011, 07:50 PM
It must be kind of hidden?!...I have it sitting in a friends heated shop right now and tomorrow im going over the trike..cleaning the dust off it :) and doing some general upkeep change some fluids and riding it!!!.. I have not owned one in 10 years..my last trike was a beat up klt250...so looking forward to testing out the big red...Ill post my reviews..

Any other tips on owning a BR??

Trikeboss
02-13-2011, 05:45 PM
Took it out for a ride today out on the river and goofed around on it for a while...it was a blast. It did ok in the snow but the tires kind of suck...It has a lot of power but NO top end at all...It feels like it would need one more gear...I found the kick start and it worked great the guy I got it from said their was no kick start that he knew of and he has owned it for over 20 years?!? This thing is fun no doubt. :)

The front forks seemed a tad springy...can I just ad some heavy for oil?

Also can I fit 28" tires on it w/o any mods or problems?