PDA

View Full Version : I need to repair my 350x tank

MagicJames
02-08-2011, 10:12 PM
I need to take my good tank and replace the bracket on the left side of the tank, because it has broken off. I've got a old POS tank that is rusty and falling apart, that i can rob the part off of. Any ideas or recommendations on how to make the project go smoothly without blowing myself up or ruining the tank?

My idea is to remove the bracket on the old beat up tank with a sawz-all and then grind the old metal off from there and TIG the new one on. The good tank's bracket fell off, so no worries about taking it off and not damaging it.

I think i saw tapper asking about doing this, but i can't find anything about it

1984 honda 200s
02-08-2011, 10:24 PM
i heard that taking off your tank and running exhaust into it will make your chances of blowing yourself up... ZERO lol

bcredneck
02-08-2011, 10:30 PM
it will work just rinse the inside of your tank with water first or your tank will blow up when you start welding and take the gas cap off

MagicJames
02-08-2011, 11:08 PM
i heard that taking off your tank and running exhaust into it will make your chances of blowing yourself up... ZERO lol

Why do i get these retards posting in my threads? I asked a serious question and am looking for any ideas and i get this...

Why don't i just smoke a cigarette while i fill my gas tank? and Put my gas can next to my fireplace when I'm done, that would be great...

tri again
02-08-2011, 11:29 PM
most professional gas tank folks say that tanks will blow even if left empty in the sun for a year
with the cap off. Gas can hide in the pores of the metal or some other lawyer legaleze.

Then there are the old timers who just weld them when you're not looking and charge you extra
for their magic.

I usually rise mine with water / hose for a few minutes and drop a lit match in them from a safe distance.

Of Course, the match goes out.

Filling them with carbon dioxide or other non flammable gas will also effect the same result.

Exhaust gas may be considered non combustible IF it''s source engine isn't running too rich.

My last one got rinsed with water, dropped a match and nothing happened so I dropped a few drips of gas into it and hit THAT with a match and it popped and went out.

I was pretty sure it wouldn't blow with a welder after that, but then again,
I can't think of many reasons to live.

350XJEDI
02-08-2011, 11:31 PM
:D just rinse it out real good then blowdry ,when welding leave gascap off should be easy fix, good luck:cool: trailpro some peoples kids:lol: