PDA

View Full Version : !@#$!%!$#@%#$ 84 200x ebay grrrrrrrr rant

riverrat
02-08-2011, 06:38 PM
Well I am beside myself. It only took over a year to get around to putting my 84 200X back together and the "NO SKIP SECRETLY MODIFIED KICK START" I got off ebay, skips worse than the first one. Now the entire engine has to come apart again.

Anyone can offer some advice before I put this back together again to make sure the kick starter won't skip please clue me in.

Dirtcrasher
02-08-2011, 06:41 PM
Seems like back cutting the gears is all that works and even thats sketchy......

Unless you can get NOS parts, I simply wouldn't want an 83-85 200X.

Has to be the most stupid design Honda ever came up with; Maybe it was a Friday engineering task.

shortline10
02-08-2011, 06:50 PM
Not only back cutting the ratchet gears but a stronger spring is the the real fix . The original ratchet gear set up is fine it's the spring that was made too weak causing the ratchet gears to wear thus causing the slip . Read this thread from .org and it will help to explain the problem .
http://www.3wheeler.org/vb/showthread.php?t=41028

riverrat
02-08-2011, 07:15 PM
Thanks guys. I don't know if I have the stronger spring or not. You would think the guy who sold it to me would have installed it. I did back cut the gears on my 250R and it works great now. I may just try the same thing again with this, sucks that you have to take the whole dam engine apart to get to it, and it is a pain in the ass to get it back together.

mtsnieg
02-08-2011, 08:59 PM
I recently had my 200x cases apart to replace a bad crank. While I was in there I back-cut the kicker gears and stretched out the spring. This was a couple months ago and I've yet to have the kicker slip once.

riverrat
02-08-2011, 10:44 PM
I have another spring, I wonder if there is enough room for two springs? I also read that the washer that holds the spring warps, and you can "warp" it back. This sucks that I have to take this all apart again, it's not like it's a 2 stroke.

shortline10
02-08-2011, 11:11 PM
No room for 2 springs and yes the tin washer does warp .

riverrat
02-09-2011, 12:36 AM
Yea I see what you mean, I have the old kick start assembly (which there was nothing really wrong with it, just someone took the bolt that holds the spring out, and it slipped a bit).

Is there a mark to tell which spring is stronger?
Or is there a visible difference?
Can you get a stronger spring anymore?