PDA

View Full Version : 250r maintenance questions

danny_250r
02-08-2011, 01:11 PM
Hey everyone. Its been years since I have been active in the forums. I love the new look, by the way. I'll get straight to the point. I own an '81 250r that has been sitting in the shed for 8 years untouched. What maintenance would be required to get it up an running. I know for a fact that top end had a fresh rebuild before I left to Iraq. What would be the best start up procedure? Id like to start up the trike and shake out the cobwebs. Also, I have completely forgot the ratio on the premix. Can anyone tell me? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

beets442
02-08-2011, 05:17 PM
Hello, Thanxs for the service to our country. I would go over it completely, it might take a little more time but save some $ and headaches.Check compression,change the brake fluids, drain old gas mix, change crankcase oil,clean carb, put on an inline fuelfilter,new plug, new airfilter.
Your gonna get opinions on mix ratio's, I'd try 32:1...Good luck ...Beets

Xpress
02-08-2011, 05:31 PM
32:1 is a very good place to start.

As for maintenance, drain the tank and flush everything out, flush out the cylinder with premix gas, clean the carb, fresh spark plug, fresh gas and I'd say go for it.

danny_250r
02-11-2011, 04:07 PM
Thanks for the quick responses. We did manage to get it started while running into some problems. Luckily the tank wasn't rusted and the carb wasn't too beat up. One thing we did notice is that the spark is very weak. Is this normal? I would assume the shock would throw your hand back, but in this case, it feels like light pulses. I assume there's a weak ground somewhere. I will check out my connections when I get the chance. Thanks again fellas!