PDA

View Full Version : Changing 350X front wheel bearings

350x'inNY
10-06-2003, 08:53 PM
Hey... I was putting my front forks back on my 'X' and decided to go ahead and mount the speedometer kit. Well, I have to take the axle out to do that so I figured I'd replace the bearings too. I got the axle out and got the 'Rt' spacer off (both were froze up). I've taken the dust seals off, but how do you drive the bearings out? :?

Do you need that special tool it says in the manual? (Bearing Remover Expander & Collet 15mm)

I'm pretty sure these have been replaced before, as the front brake disk was mounted backwards. (Writing towards wheel... arrow wrong direction) :rolleyes: .... What would that do to the brake pads or the rotor?

Thanks guys!
Bruce

bobr
10-06-2003, 09:29 PM
Hello, You should be able to pound them out with a long thin screwdriver from the opposite side. After one side is out, take out the spacer and pound out the other side. The second side is always easier since the spacer isn't in the way. When installing, always tap on the outer race of the bearing. Good luck! BTW where can I get OEM plastic and a speedo for my 350X? Bob

roofinggun
10-06-2003, 09:48 PM
They should be fine, but check the spec on thichness of the rotor. A brass drift works great, but a 12" long extension works in a pinch.

350x'inNY
10-06-2003, 09:54 PM
We tried a long screwdriver.... but there wasn't enough of a lip between the bearing and the spacer to 'catch' it.

Oh... OEM plastics, Speedo's and Tach's??? You just have to ask the right people just right :oops: .... then empty out your wallet! :rolleyes:

It will soon be all worth it! I've bought enough 'cosmetic' and assessory parts for this bike this summer to have bought another 350X! :?

:D

Bruce

ATCnut
10-06-2003, 11:47 PM
There is a spacer tube inside the hub between the bearings. Take you long screwdriver, stick in in the hole from one side, and pry the tube to the side. Then you will be able to get on the bearing to drive it out. I use a piece of rebar with the rough trailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro ground off to drive out the bearings

Dynofox
10-07-2003, 12:32 AM
Find someone with a press, it's much easier. When I replaced the front wheel/ rear hub bearings in my Z I used my friends press and it took about 15 min to take out the old bearing and put in the new front and rear. I'm just getting ready to do it again with my 86 X.