PDA

View Full Version : 1983 Honda ATC 200E Rear brake help

Buckmaster
02-05-2011, 11:45 AM
Hello, I am in need of some good advice on how to get a rear brake drum off that appears to have been on for a very long time. I have soaked this thing in blaster, made a puller and tried to pull it off and actually broke a piece out of the drum. This thing is stuck on there pretty good. Any help on how to get these stuck things off. I have thought about using a die grinder and just cutting it off but I can not locate another one. I want to make sure I can get my hands on one before I cut it off. Thanks for any help.

shortline10
02-05-2011, 11:57 AM
Try some heat at the splines and use a block of wood and a big hammer to knock it out .

oscarmayer
02-05-2011, 11:57 AM
of the drum is stuck, have you completely removed the brake cable? even if you think you have released all tension i have see it still have some slight pressure. remvoe the brake cables from the lever, and remove the cable lever from the shaft assembly. (10mm head) once this is done, you can then easly use a small hammer (brass prefered) and tap ont he drum itself all the way around. also did you remove the 2 axel nuts? those are right against the drum and push on it. so remove the 2 axel nuts. best way is to remove the outer hub, get yourself 2 41mm wrenches and remove the nuts. then the drum should come off easier.

btw, in my sig is a link to manuals. if you do not have one, the manual will tell you exactly what you need to do as well as details.

Buckmaster
02-05-2011, 02:10 PM
Thanks all for your ideas. I got it off, it basically was just rusted on there from years and years of use and no movement. It took a can of PB blaster and a rosebud tip and torch to heat it up evenly while putting even pulling force on it. It finally gave way and came off. For all those 3 wheelers out there, make sure from time to time you break things loose and conduct inspections to prevent things from rusting on and up. I have learned a lesson here and will periodically shoot some lube in there and inspect my brakes more often.