PDA

View Full Version : trikes running completly under water?

swampthang
02-04-2011, 06:37 PM
found this on the old 3ww http://www.3wheelerworld.com/oldsite/pppics/sYamtriz029xuwYam.jpg whats the story about this? cleary snorkeled. Almost sure it has to be a ad. Looks like a cool story none the less.

JustEnough
02-04-2011, 07:04 PM
I would like to hear how they might keep water out of the electrical parts.

Xhumeka
02-04-2011, 07:05 PM
hahaha, that's a very cool pic. It must have been what inspired these guys - extend the two snorkels on the trike in this vid and that's basically the same thing!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MpgAw6KqjtU

bcredneck
02-04-2011, 07:14 PM
never try that with a pull start motor unless you like buying stators they dont like water

Dirtcrasher
02-04-2011, 07:17 PM
You guys taking 25yo trikes underwater aren't saving yourselves any money. Anything that's worn will let water in.

They aren't submarines; Buy a quad and destroy that underwater.........

swifty
02-04-2011, 07:20 PM
every time i try deep underwater riding i end up with a 3 wheeler that smokes like a train i think the cold water shrinks the hot cylinder way faster than the expanded hot piston and kinda seizes/scuffs the clyinder up

bcredneck
02-04-2011, 07:23 PM
ive always kept my motors above water whats the point of ridding in water

Blazlnout
02-04-2011, 07:29 PM
I figure if I wanna ride across the water I'll get a boat, although admittedly it would be fun to build an "amphibian trike" if I had the cash to blow on it..

Dirtcrasher
02-04-2011, 07:35 PM

This is the best post you've ever posted :D

the great gazoo
02-04-2011, 07:42 PM
You guys taking 25yo trikes underwater aren't saving yourselves any money. Anything that's worn will let water in.

They aren't submarines; Buy a quad and destroy that underwater.........

Awright Steve, show 'em your pic(The title made me think of you)!

kariutta
02-04-2011, 08:32 PM

crossing a river in the trail.

cosmohawk
02-04-2011, 08:41 PM
Every time I see videos of guys submerging their quads / trikes under water, I start thinking about Jeff Foxworthy...and...

"You might be a redneck if......you spend $50 on PVC pipe and duct-tape to drive your ATV underwater!"

Hahahaha! Reminds me of a story buddy of mine told me not that long ago...he's the service manager at a local ATV dealership. Guy tries to return the wheeler he bought almost two years ago because he tells them there's something wrong with it, and the valves are making noise. Says he "wants a new machine", or they have to rebuild the motor for free.:rolleyes:

The wheeler is permanently stained with mud, CV boots are shot, and looks well used and abused. They take one look at the airbox, and see whats left of what must have been a full tube of silicone, and a brand new airbox snorkle + clamp. They call the guy and tell him that nothing is covered under any kind of warranty because the airbox has obviously been snorkled. Buddy gets angry and tells them he hasn't touched the bike since he bought it. My ass...:lol:

Long story short, they tell him to came and pick it up...and take it right back home, they're not touching it. Valves are bent from being hydro-locked...and god knows what other damage. What a retard.

Always thought this was pretty good ATC water abuse...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTAklYfcvjw

Slingblade
02-04-2011, 09:00 PM
I did some scuba riding on my 200x back when I was young and stupid.

And- Yes, I do feel a little guilty right now. Youth and stupidity- They go together, you know.

swifty
02-04-2011, 09:46 PM
thats how me and 2 of my buddys rebuilt 110's smoked after underwater diving in uncle milteee's pond..lol but it sure was fun we could jump off dry land into 4 ft of water they would stay running for a good 3 sec under water before they poped back up on the other side! hondas hold there breath good:lol:

bcredneck
02-04-2011, 09:54 PM
one of my xr75 motors was damb near shot so i jumped it into lake a few times but i already a better top end i was going to put on after i was done messing around in the lake but thats the only time ive put a bike motor under water

inv3ctiv3
02-05-2011, 02:15 AM
I've always said deep mudding/water hole stuff is super trashy and a waste of time.

350XJEDI
02-05-2011, 02:38 AM
:naughty:I like mud but if its deep its not fun , a little water is fine, but anymore than a foot deep, you may end up wih problems,trailpro. where i ride theres always mudholes,watercrossings :D, you just have to use your best judgement about how deep and if possible skirt it best you can , washington gets alot of rain so mud ,water is part of our riding,:cool: except in the hottest part of summer then its dust, i hate dust.:mad::beer

REDNEK ROB
02-05-2011, 05:45 AM
I use alot of electical grease and rubber water proofing tape. I love to sub my bikes in the river. After i swim back to the river bank. I dont want to worry about whether ther going to start or not. They always do knock on wood.

cr480r
02-05-2011, 05:58 AM
my friend had a beater 200e... everything single piece was shot to begin with... forks bent and welded, front brakes only, no fenders, make shift seat, tubed rotten tires, bent axle, every bearing shot, bump start only, etc.. a real death trap, but it ran decent, smoked... I was amazed at how much fun that thing was to ride in the river and nearby mud holes.. I dont personally take my stuff in the water, but I can see the attraction for those who live in different parts of the country.. Any situation with a motorized vehicle and a challenging obsticle is a good time IMO..

swampthang
02-05-2011, 09:27 AM
found this on the old 3ww http://www.3wheelerworld.com/oldsite/pppics/sYamtriz029xuwYam.jpg whats the story about this? cleary snorkeled. Almost sure it has to be a ad. Looks like a cool story none the less. So nobody rememebers what the actual story behind this picture is?

OZQUAD44
02-05-2011, 10:15 AM
It was an add for Yamaha's range of three wheelers in 1986. It demonstrated the virtues of their oil bathed ignition systems.

Full page add in dirtwheels back in the day.