PDA

View Full Version : how do you break a chain!?!?!?!?!?

leprogle
10-06-2003, 11:12 AM
I was told to cut the tip of the pin off with a grinder, and tap it out with a hammer and center punch, I tried this but it didn't work. am i not hitting it hard enough, or what? or does that not work? i don't know, i've never done it before, and i'm trying to get my bike up and running today, I haven't even driven it yet

TrikeKid
10-06-2003, 11:15 AM
try getting a chain breaker.

TimSr
10-06-2003, 11:28 AM
Grind the portion of the pins off that that stick out of the side plate. Grind them all the way down into the side plate. Then use a hammer and screwdriver, or chissel, and pound it between the sideplate and the roller. It will pop right off.

leprogle
10-06-2003, 11:29 AM
is there anyone else that is cheap like me and has broken a chain without a chain breaker?

jenndnn3
10-06-2003, 12:04 PM
Yes we are useing methods Tim has described...So yes I guess im cheap,,,,just hit it harder. It can be a bugger..

leprogle
10-06-2003, 12:08 PM
when i made the post about being "cheap", I didn't know that TimSr had made that post, I just read it now, i must've posted it right after he did.
but anywho, thanks for the tip Tim

TimSr
10-06-2003, 12:11 PM
is there anyone else that is cheap like me and has broken a chain without a chain breaker?

"Necessity is the mother of invention."

Ive never used a chain breaker, but from looking at one, and understanding how it works, the grinder method would appear to be more effective, so even if somebody GAVE me a chain breaker, Id probably continue with my present method.

leprogle
10-06-2003, 12:24 PM
Trikekids post, made me assume everybody on here used chain breakers, but I guess i was wrong. you know what they say "when you assume you make an @$$ out of...."
I didn't mean that everybody that doesn't have one is cheap, so if I offended you, go cry me a river ;)

Billy Golightly
10-06-2003, 02:26 PM
Yeah If my chain is worn bad enough to justify a link removal, I usually just take the chain off, walk over to the bench grinder, and grind the pin till its totally flush with the actual link itself. Then I walk over to the vice, grab a hammer and punch, and usually 2 licks and its out. Chain breakers are probably good for at the race/trail fix, but if you have a shop/garage and a grinder, just use it.

84250r
10-06-2003, 07:11 PM
Grind the portion of the pins off that that stick out of the side plate. Grind them all the way down into the side plate. Then use a hammer and screwdriver, or chissel, and pound it between the sideplate and the roller. It will pop right off.

I've done it plenty of times Tims way,and worked great! I say if it doesnt work the first time,do it again! :)

Lots_Of_Nothing
10-06-2003, 07:21 PM
i just use a plug in hand grinder, same methods as these guys, i do have a chain breaker, but it is a bitc* to use, gotta crank on that sucker with like 500 pounds of force, but with the grinder, its a few sparks off the side plate, couple good smacks with hammer, and its apart

200xer
10-06-2003, 07:26 PM
I only use a chain breaker on my racing kart chain which is 35 and we don't run master links. I've always used the grinder and a punch with ATV chain.

timex69
10-09-2003, 07:22 PM
dude did u grind both sides of the link u want to pound out...i would make it a heck of alot easier

TimSr
10-09-2003, 11:33 PM
dude did u grind both sides of the link u want to pound out...i would make it a heck of alot easier

Both sides????

Howdy
10-10-2003, 09:02 AM
I have a chain breaker and use it once and a while. I also use the grind and punch method also. I pretty much only use the Chain Breaker when I want to re-use the link I am taking apart. They work wonders some times, other times they are a pain in the keester. ;)

Howdy