PDA

View Full Version : 1985 atc110 wont run

sickscoot
02-03-2011, 02:04 PM
I just bought a 1985 atc110. It was a weak runner with a worn clutch. I bought a new carb from ebay, new timing chain and new clutch. I installed these and it was now a weak starting decent runner with a great clutch. I then tore down the topend cleaned and laped the valves. it now has 150psi compression and good spark and wont run at all. everything is connected and in good condition from snorkel to muffler. I set the valve timing to the t mark and ignition timing to the f mark. the stator reads 140 ohms and ignition pulser is 90 ohms. Spark is nice and blue on a fresh plug. It will back fire once in a while thru the carb but thats it (even with ether). This bike looks great and should run great but.... Any Ideas? I've quadrouple checked the valve and ignition timing. Could the cdi be failing?

also it has 2 fuel filters and a screen in the petcock. jets are 85 main and 35 pilot

bcredneck
02-03-2011, 02:22 PM
spark timing could be 180 out and sparking when the valves are open

oscarmayer
02-03-2011, 03:12 PM
could be the CDI spark advance. there should be 2 springs that hold it and it should be easly to move it to advance it. also when the cdi cover is off. the bike set up TDC, the cdi pickup and the rotor line should also be aligned up and nearly touching. did the cam shaft pin fall out? if that pin falls out the rotor will not turn.

sickscoot
02-03-2011, 03:21 PM
you guys are good, I contacted howdey a few days ago and he mentioned the advancer... did it fall apart when I took it apart. Then I posted my question here like he said and I got your responses. I did take the advancer apart to tig weld some small cracks in it when I did the head, but I didn't think about how it could be reassembled 180out. I kept thinking the pin in the cam made it fool proof. I just got back from riding it. It fired right up. I thought I would be institutionalized before I would be able to start it. I feel so dumb. and numb from riding in 16f weather