PDA

View Full Version : straight pipe

H95Shooter
02-02-2011, 11:28 PM
ok dumb question i know nothing realy on pipes so a straight pipe burns your valeves beacuse of back pressure or what and why beacuse a straight pipe is so open no baffel or what and im was going to straight pipe it so i could put a slide on muffler on would that work yeah i know im dumb but im only 15 so yeah:lol:

cr480r
02-02-2011, 11:33 PM
its the cold air rushing back in at shutoff that can warp the super hot valves... If the headpipe is left long, and the jetting is corrected i'd be more worried about looking like a jack ass or contributing to land closures by riding a loud slow bike

harryredtrike
02-02-2011, 11:36 PM
not really,straight pipes are a good way to make more air flow.a short straight pipe can let cold air in and damage your valves.a regular pipe with baffles creates back pressure and torque.i dont know why you want a straight pipe but thats the jist off it.(for 4 strokes)

H95Shooter
02-02-2011, 11:48 PM
not really,straight pipes are a good way to make more air flow.a short straight pipe can let cold air in and damage your valves.a regular pipe with baffles creates back pressure and torque.i dont know why you want a straight pipe but thats the jist off it.(for 4 strokes)
i want to do it beacuse i got a old atc 90 made into a 4 wheeler real redneck job but the pipe was hacked off so im not going to to spend over a hundred on a bike that cost me 60$ but it runs great haha

H95Shooter
02-02-2011, 11:51 PM
i'd be more worried about looking like a jack ass or contributing to land closures by riding a loud slow bike
well first off i ride on my farm only 1 nehbor about 2 miles away and i dont think he would hear it and second no trails would get shut down around here for to loud of noise we dont got atv trails for miles my farm is 7 miles into the country and no one realy care in the country i mean if your doing donuts on there lawn they would care but not just riding past on a loud bike

cr480r
02-03-2011, 12:16 AM
well first off i ride on my farm only 1 nehbor about 2 miles away and i dont think he would hear it and second no trails would get shut down around here for to loud of noise we dont got atv trails for miles my farm is 7 miles into the country and no one realy care in the country i mean if your doing donuts on there lawn they would care but not just riding past on a loud bike

right on man. Sorry i jumped to conclusions, its just cuz i've seen alot of tweakers and idiots around my area giving the riding community a bad name.

1984 honda 200s
02-03-2011, 12:30 AM
right on man. Sorry i jumped to conclusions, its just cuz i've seen alot of tweakers and idiots around my area giving the riding community a bad name.

You got that right! people riding slow loud bikes causes people to call the police!!! then reuins it for everyone else!, i wouldnt straight pipe it, but get a straight pipe and put a tomato can with holes on the end of it and used a hose clamp to hold it in place( seen done to alot of quads)

Hoosier_Daddy
02-03-2011, 01:21 AM
Yeah, a long straight pipe on your secluded property will work fine. Make sure its long and not short. Mufflers(silencers) are not a necessity they are only for noise reduction. If you want to know if straight pipes work and make horsepower take a trip to your local dragstrip and see every drag car running straight headers.;)

cr480r
02-03-2011, 02:38 AM
an atc90 is not a dragster...

Hoosier_Daddy
02-03-2011, 05:58 AM
an atc90 is not a dragster...True but it's the same concept. You need a pipe to concentrate the exhaust hence backpressure but the more free the exhaust can flow the easier it is for an engine to expel it and bring in more oxygen and fuel for the next ignition phase. It works for all four strokes. It isn't limited to dragsters. dragsters are just an example of using all the tricks to extract more power. Take any four stroke and keep the full length exhaust but take away the muffler and you will gain horsepower. Not saying it would be cool to drive an atc 90 with a loud exhaust just stating the facts that it will gain some power. On a 90 it isn't going to be a power gain that will be otherworldly but if you dyno'd it with and without a muffler there would be some gain in power with a free flowing exhaust.

RubberSalt
02-03-2011, 08:18 AM
If you want to run a straight pipe, there is some math to do to get the most power at certain RPMs, fatter pipe at higher rpm=more power, skinner pipe at lower RPM =more power but less up top.

big pipe
At low RPM, the big pipe will provide stagnant exhaust gasses, This gasses cool down, this also causes stagnant gasses to form, these give bad flow characterists to the exhaust and make the engine work harder to remove the exhaust.
At high RPM, the same pipe will have enough pressuer where there is not stagnant cooling gasses. It will also be hotter. Hotter gasses move faster, thus causeing the engine to work less and giving more power.

small pipe
At low RPM, the small pipe will not build stagnant exhaust gasses as it takes less to fill the pipe. The pipe will be hot, gasses flow fast, no problems, happy power in low rpm
At high RPM, the pipe will be hot but restrictive enough where the engine is almost choking.

OEM pipes are usualy between, thats why after market pipes, that are bigger, increase power. Your muffler plays a massive role in this though

Short pipes work great at high RPM, cold air can't reach the vavle to warp it - look at dragsters
Long pipes are harder to push gasses out of, you need to find a happy medium.. oem pipes found that - as a reference.

H95Shooter
02-04-2011, 08:49 PM
sorry guys sorry i know im being a :postwhore:postwhore:postwhore but i just want to ask one thing will a trx 125 pipe fit on a 110:crazy: so if not will any other bike pipe fit on i know im being dumb :lol:
i know ive been posting alot but im trying to get all my questions out of the way :rolleyes:

3legedrebel
02-04-2011, 08:53 PM
i got a glasspack on my 200s an it has better perfomance an mpg an also sounds really good.it mite be somthing youll want to look into.and also ther only like 20 bucks