PDA

View Full Version : What's the deal? - Carlisle Turf Buster and Trail Pro tires

gewash76
02-02-2011, 08:37 PM
Ok, so I'm new to 3-wheelers and ATV's, but I've been noticing a lot of people dawg the Carlisle Turf Buster and Trail Pro tires. What exactly makes them a bad tire? Is the tire itself bad quality or it is how it performs in certain conditions (like mud) that people don't like about them? I actually like how fat the tire looks..especially the Turf Buster. I'm just curious what makes them so bad.

dcreel
02-02-2011, 08:40 PM
They are heavy, heavy, heavy, but will last forever.

Xpress
02-02-2011, 08:43 PM
Heavy and are horrible in the mud. Some call them "Gear breakers" or "chain breakers".

gewash76
02-02-2011, 08:49 PM
So do all wider tires cause this problem or just these tires?

hoosierlogger
02-02-2011, 09:05 PM
I had the turf busters on a 2 wheel drive 4 wheeler. It sucked big time in the traction department. I couldnt get up hills that people with smaller quads were going. The tread filled up with leaves, dirt, sticks, ect. and the tires were basically slicks. I was so tempted to cut half of the lugs off to make more voids in the tread pattern. They were great in the grass they wouldnt tear up the yard no matter how hard you tried.

I have the strykers on the 200S That I currently have running. I like them they have been good in everything I have put them in so far. The next 200S to bring back from the dead has trail pros. I cant hardly wait to see how they preform. They are too new to throw away.

ATCrider42
02-02-2011, 09:16 PM
I have a pair of Carlisle "Turf Tamers" on my 185. They do pretty well. Just as good as any other tire I could have got. I dunno if there is a difference between "Turf Tamers" and "Turf Busters" but the "Trail Pros" look like they're pretty heavy duty. I've also got some Holeshots on my 200x and they are way too heavy.

shortbus
02-02-2011, 09:20 PM
Heavy, and suck ass in the trails.

hoosierlogger
02-02-2011, 09:24 PM
I have a pair of Carlisle "Turf Tamers" on my 185. They do pretty well. Just as good as any other tire I could have got. I dunno if there is a difference between "Turf Tamers" and "Turf Busters" but the "Trail Pros" look like they're pretty heavy duty. I've also got some Holeshots on my 200x and they are way too heavy.

There is a pretty big difference in tread pattern as shown in the links I have provided
turf busters
http://www.carlisletirestore.com/trfbstr_atv.htm

turf tamers
http://www.carlisletirestore.com/trftamr_atv.htm

cr480r
02-02-2011, 09:29 PM
not only are they heavy, the carcass is extremely stiff.. which gives a horrible ride on a hardtail, and reduces grip on obsticles.. IMO they would work well on a garden tractor or utility trailer..

ATCrider42
02-02-2011, 10:10 PM
IMO they would work well on a garden tractor or utility trailer

ya, they do look hard enough to be mounted on a lawn tractor or something.