PDA

View Full Version : Camshaft Installation---What Am I Doing Wrong!?!

bucko
02-01-2011, 04:06 PM
I got my cylinder head on but now im not sure what im doing wrong because the camshaft/gear is giving me problems.Im sure im skipping a step with it.
I looked at the manual but I still cant get it.I can get the chain on the gear but cant get the gear onto the camshaft when the chains on the cam gear,its to tight.
What am I doing wrong here,what steps do I do in what order?

Headsup
02-01-2011, 04:14 PM
Loosen the cam chain tensioner and then try. Are you talking about the sprocket onto the camshaft?

Hurricane635
02-01-2011, 04:15 PM
Try backing off the cam chain tensioner.

Headsup
02-01-2011, 04:26 PM
If your wondering where it should be down at bottom of case on top up by the head. Comes with a rubber cap on it. There is a stop nut also, Losen Stop nut first then back off tensioner.

bucko
02-01-2011, 05:41 PM
The tensioner isnt even installed,I took it out when I switched the cylinder heads....Im having trouble getting the camshaft and gear onto the chain.Im sure im doing something simple wrong.

What do I put in first, the camshaft (?), then cam gear,then slip the chain on?Ive been trying but the chains not giving me enough room to lift it onto the gear....Im pulling my hair out

rdlsz24
02-01-2011, 05:50 PM
Is the chain bunched up on the gear down on the crankshaft?

Rob

bucko
02-01-2011, 05:52 PM
I dont think it is

bucko
02-01-2011, 05:54 PM
i'll go check but I dont think it is...What should I put in first,second,etc.....?Because maby im just trying to put stuff in, in the wrong order

rdlsz24
02-01-2011, 05:56 PM
What trike is this? Do it how the manual says to do it. I put the cam in through the chain and get it in place, then put the chain on the sprocket, and finally bolt the sprocket to the cam

Rob

Headsup
02-01-2011, 06:45 PM
U put in crankshaft first the sprocket then chain..
Your chain is prolly wedged up in there sumwhere .. try fighting like hell i had the same problem a few days ago, turns out it was bunched up a litttle tug and she was loose.. if u still cant get it take teh head top off..

Sick200x
02-01-2011, 07:08 PM
I think you took out just the "slider" for the chain if you just swapped heads, the tensioner works on the other one, and you'd have to remove cylinder too. You'll still need to back off the cam chain tensioner, then you should be able to get the gear on the cam (it'll still be a tight fit). Be sure to readjust tensioner when it's back together.

bucko
02-01-2011, 07:56 PM
Alright I got it on and put the tensioner on and now it made it pretty tight and when I push the kick start lever with my hand its hard to push but still do-able.Will it re- adjust itself once I have it running a little while or do I need to adjust it now?

bucko
02-01-2011, 09:15 PM
so since its a Big Red 250 and has an auto adjuster I think all I will have to do is run the engine some and it should adjust itself and not be as hard to push the kick starter down,correct?I can push it by hand and push it down with my foot no problem but it is slightly harder to do.I got a new tensioner on it as well

Headsup
02-02-2011, 01:54 PM
Not to sure, Your sayign it wont fire up? Your sure you timed it right? can be hell sometimes..

ATCrider42
02-02-2011, 03:57 PM
You shouldn't be able to push the kick start down very easily by hand. It's designed to be kicked by your foot.