PDA

View Full Version : 87 Long Rod motor question?

atcmatt
01-29-2011, 09:03 PM
Hi guys after talking to harlan from LED I have finally decided to go back to my stock 85 250r topend. he thinks the setup Im running is not suffice for the big bore, being the fmf fatty is not enough pipe, the ignition system is not good enough (he thinks you need a pvl digital one) and my reeds and intake are not good enough either.

Now my motor is a 87 longrod and the bigbore uses the spacer plate. Im guessing all I have to do is get a bore and new piston kit for my old topend (which detonated itself) and use the spacerplate under the 85 cylinder and I should be good to go?

Also, my cylinder has had a few bores in its time, the rings are stamped 100? Does this mean Im on the last bore? The cylinder looks alright maybe its just needs a hone? or can I get away with one more bore out? What does the 100 mean?

Do you think the 38mm stryker will be too much carb for the stocker or will it be fine in conjunction with the fmf fatty?

Thanks.

matt

jeffatc250r
01-29-2011, 09:27 PM
If you run a spacer plate with the shortrod piston (85-86) im pretty shure the shortrod pistons are avail up to .140 over

atcmatt
01-29-2011, 09:32 PM
Awesome I hope so. Thanks. Anyone else? I wonder if it would be better to run the longrod piston or the shortrod piston powerwise?

200xranger
01-29-2011, 10:30 PM
im running a long rod with an 85 top end with the spacer plate. it seems to have more torque. people have said that it increases the volume using the spacer therefore it doesnt rev as quick which can be a good thing for i a trike for some people. i like my set up. i have seen people run a 38mm carb on stock cylinders. i personally run a Duncan Racing 36mm with the super flow and love it. hope this helps!!!

TtownJoeShow
03-18-2011, 10:25 AM
yeah man, the spacer would work a little like a boost bottle or the same as a reed spacer ie more room for mixed gas/air available imediatly... i have ran a stock '85 cyl, K&N, 38 air striker, BRV and fatty, loved it!!! simply loved it.... dont have the trike anymore (its in my pic) :Bounce building another from scratch tho!!! starting with a CT310 kit, hope this helped!!