PDA

View Full Version : How do you pick the right tire size?

gewash76
01-28-2011, 07:52 PM
I have a 83 Big Red 200E that had 25x12x9 tires on it when I got it, but the tires were bad. The tires that it came with were Carlisle Turf Buster brand tires. After checking online, it seems those have been discontinued. So I decided to order the Duro tires, which were also 25x12x9. The tires arrived today and they appear to be 3-4" shorter than my Carlisle tires, yet it says they're 25x12x9. So my question is what other tire spec do I need to look at to get tires that are the same height as the Carlisle tires are? OR..will the Duro tires be that tall once they're inflated. They don't look like they will just looking at them.

Note - I looked at other tires online that seemed to be the same as the Duro's (based on tread pattern) and they appeared to be big like the Carlisles. That was why I chose them.

Xfile
01-28-2011, 08:19 PM
You will find that size is not consistent between tire brands....one tire brand may measure a true 25" were as the next brands 25" tire may be + or - 1 to 3 inches....either way your in better shape...Carlisle turbusters / trail pros are pure junk...do not buy them and feel lucky that they are not on your machine anymore.

gewash76
01-28-2011, 08:35 PM
Cool...thanks

Thorpe
01-28-2011, 09:28 PM
Is that a "inflated" measurement? They will be taller with some air in them, than if the are unmounted.

Xfile
01-28-2011, 09:46 PM
Is that a "inflated" measurement? They will be taller with some air in them, than if the are unmounted.
Good call.....I assumed they were already mounted and aired up.