PDA

View Full Version : atc185 help

brokdown
10-05-2003, 01:27 PM
acquired a 185 recently from a guy who said he "blew it up". The bike in general was in good shape, and it felt like it had good compression. So I took it home, cleaned up the gas tank, dumped some gas in it, and started pulling. When you pull the rope it sprays gas out the carburetor. I'm thinking the intake valve isn't seating....what do you guys say. Looking for more opinions before I start taking it apart.

Thanks,
Lynn

Howdy
10-05-2003, 02:22 PM
acquired a 185 recently from a guy who said he "blew it up". The bike in general was in good shape, and it felt like it had good compression. So I took it home, cleaned up the gas tank, dumped some gas in it, and started pulling. When you pull the rope it sprays gas out the carburetor. I'm thinking the intake valve isn't seating....what do you guys say. Looking for more opinions before I start taking it apart.

Thanks,
Lynn

Check the valve clearances ( .003 ) before removing the head, also check the timing. It's possible the timing is off.
It might be something that simple. At any rate these motors normally aren't too costly to fix. ;)
Howdy