PDA

View Full Version : Splitting the case on 200x / Im goin in!

gasoline and whiskey
10-05-2003, 11:53 AM
Well as it turns out in order to fix the kickstart gear on my 85 200x the
motor has to come apart, It runs great but this will be an opportunity to
refresh it a little if needed,
any info on rebuild recommendations, or case splitting tips are appreciated
what kind of pistons, bearings, performance upgrades are recommended?
Thank you for any info forum members,
I will take pictures of this as I progress, It may help someone with
the same project in the future.
-Sean

jeswinehart
10-05-2003, 05:19 PM
don't know how you are set on tools gasoline and whiskey, but your gonna need a "speacil" tool to remove the clutch + oil pump parts priour to getting the case's apart.
we talked about making your own a week or 2 ago. not very hard but will cost you a 7/8" socket and a little time.

john

200Xtreme
10-05-2003, 05:48 PM
Yes you can make the tool yourself, from a socket or piece of pipe. Splittin the case aint so bad. Just take your time, and follow the manual. Pay close attention to the shim washers. As far as Performance upgrades,I used a Wiseco Pro-lite 10-1/4-1 piston. They also have a 12-1, but you should use race gas with that one. Pay particular attention to the crank/rod journal. (somewhat vulnerable on this engine) If you see any discoloration, or feel any roughness, now's th time for service!! GOOD LUCK.

MountainRider
10-05-2003, 08:00 PM
I made one of those tools out of a 7/8 socket, and it worked pretty good, but when I started back together with it, I sprung $10 for a "real" one, lol. I ordered it from the local bike shop. I think it came from Parts Unlimited. I also got my flywheel puller from them for about $8.

As far as advice, all I can say is keep the manual handy, lay the tranny parts out on the bench in the order they come off, and use a good quality gasket sealer (I prefer 3Bond. It works as well as HondaBond or YamaBond, and only costs about $4 compared to $9 for the name brand stuff).

Darrell

Levithan
10-06-2003, 01:00 AM
Hey, keep us posted and tell us what you do to fix it! Lol, i have to do the same job soon, so im looking forward to seeing how your job turns out.

speed20
10-06-2003, 03:54 PM
200xtreme is correct except on one part....he said if theres any discoloration, nows the time for service.....discoloration works for everything BUT the rod....the rod will have discoloration (thats the way they are made)....you can tell if the rod is bad if it has more than .032 (i believe) slop between the rod (crank side) and the thrust washer...or ANY up and down slop at all. if you dont have a manual....i strongly recommend you get one if this is the first time tearing one of these apart.

200Xtreme
10-06-2003, 08:01 PM
Yes there will be discoloration on the rod. This is a normal part of the heat-treating process. I said discoloration of the crank/rod journal, this is a sign of extreme heat, and oil breakdown. (oil coking). Usually these air cooled motors are used very hard in hot weather, and the oil is not changed near often enough, and this leads to crankpin failure.

Dirtcrasher
10-06-2003, 08:18 PM
I tell everyone with this question the same things - get a nice clean big bench, drain the oil completely. Make sure it's well lighted and your not enjoying any of that whiskey!! J/K. Keep hammers away unless they are plastic and no screwdriver prying on any case oil sealing surfaces. I put everything in ziplock bags and take notes - EX. shim on each side, washer faces out etc., etc. You never know when this will go back together - anything can happen and I always forget!

tdup
10-06-2003, 09:13 PM
Throw in a 6 speed xr200 trasmission while you have it apart.

wizzard
10-06-2003, 10:10 PM
if you have to rebuild your crank,replace the connecting rod and bearings with a heavy duty kit only, nothing else seems to last, not even Honda brand parts

gasoline and whiskey
10-06-2003, 10:26 PM
Wow all of the combined knowledge on this forum is Great!
as this will be the first time I have done a case split everyones
info and experiences are much appreciated!
I went back a couple of weeks and found the posts
about the clutch/oilpump removal tool made from the socket(including
photos, nice!) I will give it a try.
tonite I will get the garage cleaned up a bit before I start so I can keep
everything organized and get my order ready for the stuff I know I
will need like Gaskets, seals, etc.
after I get everything apart and check for wear on the bottom end I
will decide what else I need, that wiseco piston sounds good!
I will post my progress,
Thanks,
-Sean

deliaz0
10-07-2003, 12:15 PM
my first case split was also on my 83 200x motor. i did it because the front sprocket shaft was toast and i had a second bottom end that i was going to use. i dont recall needing any special tools though. if u need anything i have all the parts laid out nicely :-P my tip is KEEP THE TRANSMISSION TOGETHER!!!! when u pull it out remember how it goes, and the shop manual is hands down much better than a generic manual, it'll show u exactly how the tranny goes back together if u mess up, and it's actually easier than u think. good luck.

ATCMedic
10-07-2003, 01:00 PM
My best advice for you is to take your time disassembling the bottom end, and follow the manual. If something doesn't want to come apart, double and triple check to make sure you didn't forget a case bolt or it's not coming apart unevenly. Most case damage happens when the cases get stuck and people start hitting them with hammers and prying the split gasket surface with screwdrivers. All it should take is a tap or two with a rubber mallet on the countershaft and crankshaft ends to get it apart. (lay the crankcase countershaft up to disassemble it, I prop it up on a pair of 2x4's to clear my bench)

HypnotizeMindz
10-07-2003, 11:53 PM
i'd like 2 learn to make a case splitter... i got a few 7/8 socket's to spare :) ....

i gotta split my tecate case... school me on a case splitter

anything to save a buck

200Xtreme
10-09-2003, 09:40 PM
The tools made from the sockets are to remove special nuts on the 200x shafts!

mudduck14843
10-10-2003, 02:40 AM
[quote=" I also got my flywheel puller from them for about $8.
[/quote]

u paid $8 for a flywheel puller?

i think mine was less than a buck!!!!
VALUE home center is where i got mine...
it consist of a 2" long metric bolt!!!

deliaz0
10-10-2003, 06:06 PM
i think u just use an axle bolt, maybe that's y i didn't need any special tools :D