PDA

View Full Version : not sure what kind of head pipe

plcrides
01-25-2011, 09:34 PM
after spraying some lube in my clutch lever today to loosing up the clutch some lubricant ran down on my head pipe.its been painted black the silencer is a bills pipe but now im woundering what kind of header i have.it has several pieces welded together where the bend is in the fatty part of the header.the lubricant ate the black paint off when i wiped it off with a rag and the metal looks fairly shiny,not chrome or anything.

ive been looking all over the forum and the internet and i dont know what kind of header i have.if i take a picture and post it maybe someone can tell me what it is and what the pipe is good for low,mid or top end,but one thing.how do i post a picture without using photobucket and it being huge?im thinking about taking the paint off.its flat black,i can always repaint it better.help please.

bcredneck
01-25-2011, 09:41 PM
they used to make diy header kits where you weld peices together your self high performace products made them

plcrides
01-25-2011, 11:03 PM
ok this is the only way i know how to upload a picture sorry if its so big,anyways the silencer is bills pipe
im not sure about the header,see where i spilt some lubricator and the black paint came off,pretty easy huh,i might strip it down and see what it looks like,but does anybody know what kind it is and is it mid,low or top power etc,i have a brand new dg full system that im not really to found about.just woundering what kind of power and brand this thing is.
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c99/number13_/number%2015/IMG_0682.jpg
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c99/number13_/number%2015/IMG_0681.jpg

bcredneck
01-25-2011, 11:48 PM
looks fatter than stock im going to gess its a top end pipe its posible im wrong i realy think its costom made cause it looks hand welded back in the day they made expantion chamber kits and people on this site have made there own pipes normaly brands like dg or fmf put there logo or numbers on factory pipes

plcrides
01-26-2011, 12:02 AM
yea its pretty fat,i have the brand new dg and this one is pretty close in dia.i think im gonna strip the paint off.but i would still like to know what it is.i will post more pix after i strip it.i have a can of aircraft paint stripper,haha paint comes right off.yea the silencer says bills pipe so i googled bills headers and they dont look anything like this theyre smoothe and have a logo.so hmmm????

bcredneck
01-26-2011, 12:08 AM
clean off a weld if it looks hand welded its costom for shure i looked at all the 250r pipes i could on the net they dont look like that look at the high preformace products ad on the 3ww start page it shows the kits

plcrides
01-26-2011, 01:03 AM
yea i am dude im gonna strip it down tomorrow for grins and then i will take more pix.the only headers i saw on the forum that looked anything like this one were some drag racing header that some dude was making.so im pretty interested to find out what it is and where the power peaks are.

beets442
01-26-2011, 01:17 AM
+1 on the topend pipe. That things gotta rock past 1/2 throttle. Wonder if its stainless? Should have an old school tinny sound,like the old DG's when they were brand new. Did they shave the head fins to make it fit?

ceaserthethird
01-26-2011, 03:49 AM
Sectional Pipes are Awesome!

atcrider16
01-26-2011, 03:56 AM
What's the best pipe for 83 atc 250r???? Anybody knoww?

bcredneck
01-26-2011, 03:57 AM
id like to find some of that cone shaped steel so i can build a fmf mega bomb style header for my 350 but its realy hard to find

plcrides
01-26-2011, 12:54 PM
yep it runs pretty good and has that tinny sound.glad yall like it.haha i wish we knew what it was.

plcrides
01-26-2011, 08:38 PM
ok this has really got me woundering the history of this entire bike,all original parts very clean,but anyways the header,i took it off today cleaned it and found out some interesting things.all the welds are clean and the mount brackets and spring mounts are welded on with brass.im not a metal guru so what kind of metal could this be?i will post pix.

plcrides
01-26-2011, 10:19 PM
i ran out of polishing stuff,i think im gonna run the bike with the pipe like this for a while.i think it looks cool kinda reminds me of body armor.well it was definatle hand made,and i was wanting to put my dg on,haa forget that.im digging on this pipe.all the mounting brackets were welded on with brass,so now heres the queston.
what kind of metal is it?
brand name or company
which power band is it made for low,mid,high?
i love it.
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c99/number13_/number%2015/IMG_0687.jpg

Rollingmenace
01-26-2011, 10:59 PM
it looks alot like a bills pipe and since your silencer is a bills theres a strong possibility that they were bought together as a package... it would look really trick if u used a torch and heated up all the welds (BLUED the welds).... is that a 300 kit hiding under that pipe

bcredneck
01-26-2011, 11:15 PM
it looks like good hand welds if you do blue the welds wipe clean oil where you want the blue color before you heat it with a blow torch. alot of people who make there own gun parts do that. i reblued a entire shotgun like that. i dont see any rust at all so its probley stainless steel the brazing was probley done after the pipe was made or the mounts would have been welded

Macs
01-26-2011, 11:23 PM
Pretty sure that's a bills. Was there any whit paint under the black? I sold a very similar one 1-2 years ago.

plcrides
01-27-2011, 12:29 AM
there is some rust down where its closer to the head,guess from heat.i think it looks pretty good.i tried to put my dg silencer on it but it didnt line up,so i put the bills pipe silencer back on it.so maybe it is a bills.all the bills pipes i saw online had a logo welded to it.maybe its just an old one.the brass on all of the bracket mounts threw me off and made me think it was custom made.well i like it,so thanks for looking.oh and rollingmenace yea its bored out to like a 295 or something from L.A.