PDA

View Full Version : Tri-zinger mods

Ladnerboy700
01-25-2011, 04:33 PM
I have a 1984 tri zinger and I am wondering if anyone knows of any mods for them like the governor to speed it up...this just a strictly for fun grown ups to play on bike not kid ridden!

Thanks

fabiodriven
01-25-2011, 04:44 PM
The only governor that I know of on those is the screw with the locknut up on the thumb throttle.

bcredneck
01-25-2011, 04:58 PM
yamaha 480 2 stroke bolts in to your frame that the fastest mod i can think of if you go to the world class help section they have a list of all the parts that can go on a tri z

dcreel
01-25-2011, 05:01 PM
There is a governor plate in the exhaust port of the cylinder where the pipe goes. It is a disc that has a smaller hole in the middle. I think there is another somewhere in the exhaust piping but I haven't ever seen one.

Ladnerboy700
01-25-2011, 05:01 PM
I am running an open filter jetted to specs but its like it has no power band. It just pops on top and won't clean out....NOTE: it did this stock! From bottom to mid is very powerful with wheel standing response but top speed is like 15mph...Is this normal? This is my first zinger so I have nothing to compare it to....

bcredneck
01-25-2011, 05:04 PM
that plate dc was talking about kills your top end but makes more bottom end power get rid of it

Ladnerboy700
01-25-2011, 05:07 PM
The smaller gasket has been changed but it just pops erratically on top the plug is tan and no signs of lean or rich mixture...my PW50 is the same engine and it runs out fine...could there be an ignition advance on it?

dcreel
01-25-2011, 05:16 PM
Have you cleaned out the exhaust? They like to get clogged with spooge as the passages are small. I was tinkering with mine, and you'd be surprised how much faster it is with parts of the exhaust missing. Start by taking the silencer off and see if that helps, if not take the expansion chamber off, if it cleans out and pulls you have a blockage in the exhaust. Have you cleaned the carb? You may have sediment blocking some of the ports. My tri-zinger will pull pretty good with me on it's back.. It'll run at least 30 mph. I'm going to have a pipe made for it. It should pull much better with a better straighter, pipe on it. You could also have a short in the wiring with the start/run feature maybe.

Ladnerboy700
01-25-2011, 05:31 PM
Everything is clean...its a new carb from Yamaha and the pipe is an out of frame off a PW50 none of this helped....I changed the on/off/start switch and still nothin...the only thing is to pull the cylinder back off and do some port work...

UGH this is aggravating!!!!

tommerp
01-25-2011, 05:43 PM
yamaha 480 2 stroke bolts in to your frame that the fastest mod i can think of if you go to the world class help section they have a list of all the parts that can go on a tri z

Tri-zinger.. not Tri-z..... Bit of a difference there.. although bcredneck, I can imagine you shoe-horning a 480 in a Tri-zinger frame... Might need some extra braces in the front though...

dcreel
01-25-2011, 05:43 PM
Have you changed the clip on the needle one way or the other?

Ladnerboy700
01-25-2011, 05:54 PM
The clip has been positioned every way possible....carb can be ruled out I just traded it off the pw and nothin...it just leaned out a bit because of the stock jets...the only 2 things that I haven't swapped is 1. THE ENGINE 2. THE WIRE HARNESS

dcreel
01-25-2011, 06:09 PM
What I don't understand is that the YT60 and the PW50 use the same carb? Same jets, etc. in the carb between the 2?

bcredneck
01-25-2011, 06:13 PM
sorry i thought you had a tri z my sister had a pw 50 the ignition was off a moped it ran better than stock after we did that

Ladnerboy700
01-25-2011, 06:16 PM
They are the same exact everything just the pw is missin a tire lol they share the same engine accept for the air box and exhaust....is th zinger suppose to run out like a banshee or stop at a given RPM and act as if it has a rev limit on it?

thestud25
01-25-2011, 06:45 PM
Are you moving the switch from "Start" to "Run"?

bcredneck
01-25-2011, 06:56 PM
they do have a rev limit if you use a yamaha moped ignition (same motor) they dont have one and they run alot better our pw 50 was way faster after we did that and a new carb

Thorpe
01-25-2011, 07:07 PM
The PW cannot be exactly the same as the pw is 50cc and the zinger is 60... Start taking your exhaust apart, the silencer was plugged on mine, and ran better, then when I opened up the expansion chamber it ran awesome... PW exhaust can plug too

Ladnerboy700
01-25-2011, 09:36 PM
I mean besides the 1mm bore diff erence they are the same I used my gps and it runs 22mph. Its right like it is I just want more top end pull. I'm gonna try that moped set up...wat one do I use exactly? Year? Type? Stuff like that?

I build drag bikes so I'm not trailprotrailpro average shade tree mechanic. I just don't mess with minis much....

dirtdemon
01-25-2011, 10:00 PM
i had a moped with a yt60 top end and it ripped. they make bigger pistons and that stuff.

bcredneck
01-25-2011, 10:15 PM
dodnt remeber the year but the motor looked exactly the same as a pw 50 motor we sriped every electical part out of the pw and used the moped stuff we followed it with a car on the road it hit 60 kmph took a long time to speed up

Ladnerboy700
01-25-2011, 10:39 PM
It has a wiseco high cop piston, open filter and jetted, out of frame pipe, and oil injection blocked off, small exhaust gasket removed, next is an ignition swap

Is there anything at all that I'm missing? Does anyone know of a link just for zingers?

bcredneck
01-25-2011, 10:44 PM
it seems like you got every thing unless you but a pocket bike no2 kit off ebay

bcredneck
01-25-2011, 10:47 PM
wait you have no air filter moped motors wont run right with out them some suzukis wont even start with out them i dont know why its just something i figered out ive fixed a few

Ladnerboy700
01-25-2011, 10:53 PM
Lol no. Open filter is a drag saying it has a clamp on UNI and it runs fine. It just stops pulling after mid rang and I built it to drag specs just for top end but it did nothing

Ladnerboy700
01-25-2011, 10:55 PM
And its not a moped or a suzuki!

Yamaha tri-zinger (atc)

bcredneck
01-25-2011, 11:32 PM
the pw 50s use moped motors i didnt say yours was a suzuki i was useing that as a example they wont run at all with no air filter the mini honda 50cc 2 smokes use moped motors too the hondas look almost the same as the yamaha pw 50 some people just take moped motors and swap cause the mopeds are geard faster even thou its prety weird going fast so close to the ground

Tri-ZNate
01-26-2011, 12:12 AM
Is there anything at all that I'm missing?

Reeds, PW80 carb, shave head, port it, and I think PW80 clutch weights but you'll need to use the search function to verify

BTW, a Yamaha isnt an ATC. sorry but it drives me nuts when people use it wrong ;)

thefox
01-26-2011, 01:53 PM
Performance pipe, port job, carbon-fiber reeds. bigger intake and carb, hi flow air filter without the air box, shaved head, over sized piston, different clutch springs, oil injector block off.... there is stuff that can be done (but I don't want to give it all away;)).

fabiodriven
01-26-2011, 02:03 PM
Performance mods are not going to fix his problem. I think he should get it running right and then think about mods.

bcredneck
01-26-2011, 06:14 PM
you dont whant to mod theas too much the crank is a weak point if you give it a shot of nos at top speed it will snap like my sisters did my dad gave her my bike and i had nothing for 2 years if i had another id do a igition swap and leave the rest stock and if the kill switch is on start they run like crap cause the ignition is retarded to make staring easyer

dcreel
01-26-2011, 08:44 PM
you dont whant to mod theas too much the crank is a weak point if you give it a shot of nos at top speed it will snap like my sisters did my dad gave her my bike and i had nothing for 2 years if i had another id do a igition swap and leave the rest stock and if the kill switch is on start they run like crap cause the ignition is retarded to make staring easyer

2 pages back you didn't know what a Tri-zinger is, now you had one running nitrous? Wow.. where's my waders? It's getting deep in here..

350XJEDI
01-26-2011, 09:24 PM
:lol::lol:now thats funny:lol::lol:

Vealmonkey
01-26-2011, 09:32 PM
Now, when you say mods, I'm not thinking of simple little bolt on piddly stuff. I"ve seen a suspension zinger on this website. I'm also thinking of a top end off of a completely different machine. I'm thinking of welding on the cases. How do I know of such things, well, it's a trade secret. LOL But I'm not seeing too much originality on here. At the very least, think pw80, but bigger, way bigger. Ever seen a stroker trizinger? It's been done. Don't even think of a carb mod unless you are putting at least a pw80 carb onto a zinger, and that's the reed assembly and all. You guys really need to think outside the box. LOL And a bigger carb with the stock yt60 intake tube and reeds! Ha Ha ha ha ha! That's a funny one. Get busy doing the real mods.

Xfile
01-26-2011, 10:14 PM
Come on you guys...BCR has owned it all, rode it all, moded it all, and put it all away dirty.....we're all just play'n' catch-up here..lol

bcredneck
01-26-2011, 11:33 PM
the OP said the motor was the same as a pw 50 i had one i used to mess around with in shop class when i was younger i tryed all kinds of stuff with it and the nos kit was $30 and seemed like a good idea if you read my post you would know that before i had trikes i collected and resored all kinds of mini bikes i still have a few left

bcredneck
01-26-2011, 11:41 PM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_WQ8T3GNnGkc/TLxBJ7RD6QI/AAAAAAAAAM0/_WZoo2O1X2s/s400/Modification+Yamaha+PW+50+Off-Road.jpeg

Ladnerboy700
01-27-2011, 08:48 AM
Nevermind I got it. The plug wire was jumping to the cylinder!
Running great and this little thing is bad now all the mods at once is a big surprise!

Ladnerboy700
01-27-2011, 09:02 AM
Now, when you say mods, I'm not thinking of simple little bolt on piddly stuff. I"ve seen a suspension zinger on this website. I'm also thinking of a top end off of a completely different machine. I'm thinking of welding on the cases. How do I know of such things, well, it's a trade secret. LOL But I'm not seeing too much originality on here. At the very least, think pw80, but bigger, way bigger. Ever seen a stroker trizinger? It's been done. Don't even think of a carb mod unless you are putting at least a pw80 carb onto a zinger, and that's the reed assembly and all. You guys really need to think outside the box. LOL And a bigger carb with the stock yt60 intake tube and reeds! Ha Ha ha ha ha! That's a funny one. Get busy doing the real mods.

Whenever u get ready to run let me know...know one here likes a smart ass and I bet all trailprotrailpro stuff is stock hahaha...got a vid of anything gettin down the track??? I'm way ahead on all the swaps for the zinger but its not a big deal (ITS JUST A ZINGER) so get trailprotrailpro panties out of a wad and stop being a dick!

dcreel
01-27-2011, 10:53 AM
http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthread.php?121672-Tri-zinger-hop-ups

Jemco will make a tri-zinger pipe as well..

Vealmonkey
01-27-2011, 11:29 AM
I may be a dick, but you build drag bikes and can't ( couldn't ) make a zinger run! LOL

Ladnerboy700
01-27-2011, 11:37 AM
Like u figured it out lol...I'm just playin wit ya. I need to sale this little thing! Where is a good place to post it?

Vealmonkey
01-27-2011, 12:49 PM
I took no offense, well, very little offense. LOL I was just saying that to really mod a zinger out you have to get crazy and think outside the box. Also, you have to list machines and parts for sale in the classifieds section. And seeing your other posting, that you may have white plastics for a zinger. You may have luck selling the white plastics by themselves. Any areas outside the U.S. were considered foreign markets for the zinger and received the white plastic. Never seen a set of white plastic for sale actually. The white plastic would have some novelty for U.S. enthusiasts and the harder pieces to find in decent shape are the front fenders.

Ladnerboy700
01-27-2011, 01:10 PM
I want to post it but it won't let me upload pics. By the way the plastics are mint I just had a caster clear set molded and infused. The one on my avatar is not painted its colored thru like stock its truely one of a kind...wats a good asking price? Its super nice and everything including brakes are nice