PDA

View Full Version : Look at my new score with extra goodies

yooperman
01-24-2011, 03:40 PM
i just picked up this 86 tecate from a wrecker company owner. it needs some work for the most part look likes mostly cosmetic. all the fenders seem to be original and are in pretty decent shape tank shrouds are in good shape. the headlight cover is rough still can be use untill i find a new one. the only things i seen so far that are missing is the head light plug and the air box( which i know when i find one its gonna be exspensive). and the swing arm chain slider is totally shot, then on the axle the lock ring is tac welded on which aint no biggy because the welds are small and can be ground off easily and fixed. the rear tires are pretty rough will need to be replaced seat is not original but i have original will need to be replaced with the original looking cover. the guy said it ran strong when he bought it from his kid because his kid was tight for money. he said his kid said should just have to clean carb. but i will prolly just put K&N filter on it till i come across a air box and just keep an eye on the jetting. i wont say here what the goodies are i will let you see for your selves what they are. i got him down couple houndred buck was gonna pass it up until i seen the goodies, then i said what the heck its only money the reserve prints more every day. let me know what you guys think of it, and give me some advice where to start on it to get it ready to fire it up. ive never owned a 2-stroke before besides chain saws and snowmobiles. i finally got one i always wanted one of these but i didnt think i would ever get one but i did good thing i went into that pawn shop looking for 3 wheeler parts lol. WOOT WOOT made it into club green:p oh yeah is that shock original or aftermarket?

UPDATE
it runs and seems to run pretty good

fabiodriven
01-24-2011, 03:44 PM
Looks like a damn good score. Holy stinkbug Batman!

yooperman
01-24-2011, 03:51 PM
thats what i was thinking when he pulled the tarp off it i kept it hidding in the bottom of my gut though so he wouldnt see my excitment lol. i seen that calfab and was like holy shnikeys then the axle i was like i gotta have it.

yooperman
01-24-2011, 03:55 PM
they guy said the axle was a +4 and the calfab was he wasnt sure if it was a +2 or a +4 i havent got anything measured yet. i think i would have gotten it for cheaper but the guys kid new his stuff but didnt know what it was truely worth.

D-dub
01-24-2011, 03:57 PM
Awesome buy! ...Now you have most the old-school parts for a sweet build!

dcreel
01-24-2011, 04:12 PM
Hell of a grab.. Someday I'll find one just like it..

k00leo
01-24-2011, 04:13 PM
soooo what did ya pay for her? with all those goodies?

Ironbnder
01-24-2011, 04:21 PM
I think you should sell it locally, within 90 miles or so and concentrate on that 350X. Just kidding! Nice find there Yoop. Did not know we had that type green machines around here.

yooperman
01-24-2011, 04:43 PM
i ended up getting it for 1800 smackers, i couldnt pass it up. ironbnder either did i lol i am just glad i went into that pawn shop and started talking to the guys bro. its gonna be a 2 project thing for a lil bit lol this bad girl aint going anywhere for a while been looking for one for a long time that i could afford. i originally was going to look at a 250r but ended up not being for sale the guy was like i have one kawasaki made i said the tecate he was like yeah yeah thats it i said what you asking he said open to offers. i was SHOCKED!!! when i seen it especailly when wasnt seing much much on craigs list. oh by the way the 250 are is NICE!!! but the boy didnt want to sell just sitting there collecting dust. i had to make some sacrafices to let my wife let me get it lol. my rims and exhaust for my truck and now i actually have to get her her new bedroom set lol but its worth it. i just cant believe i have a calfab ive only seen pics of them. so you tecate guys once i get going on it be ready for the flood of questions lol.

D-dub
01-24-2011, 04:48 PM
congrats! Sweet little twist of fate right there! Going for an R......find a tricked out Tecate instead!
Gotta luv those pawn shops.

edog
01-24-2011, 04:58 PM
Very nice!...there is one like that posted locally near me!
I didn't know you could use a 250R front rim and tire on a 2nd gen Tecate.

scottyms
01-24-2011, 05:03 PM
nice score...

a few observactons...

looks like the tac welds are holding the snap ring to the axle, i'll bet the snap ring is broke i've got 3 of them that are all broke haven't yet found a replacement... you can roll your own tho out of a piece of steel rod...

second is the rear caliper... thats not tecate, maybe honda? dual piston thinkin 250r or 350x , im not a honda guy....

if you need an air box i can probably help you out... coolant tank doesnt look to bad, is that burn all the way through?

scotty

scottyms
01-24-2011, 05:07 PM
Very nice!...there is one like that posted locally near me!
I didn't know you could use a 250R front rim and tire on a 2nd gen Tecate.

yep 86/87 200x as well...

250Rfanatic85
01-29-2011, 11:07 AM
Hey everybody does anyone remember 200xbasket? This is his old tecate he sold years ago. This was my uncles three wheeler. My uncle ended up trading a few tigers somehow and ended up getting this.

TheBlueWale
01-29-2011, 11:34 AM
Hey everybody does anyone remember 200xbasket? This is his old tecate he sold years ago. This was my uncles three wheeler. My uncle ended up trading a few tigers somehow and ended up getting this.

It's a Small world to see that come around and resurface.

What type of a shock is on the back?

ironchop
01-29-2011, 07:23 PM
wow.....I been looking for a green one myself lately and you sir, have found a helluva gem there

250Rfanatic85
02-01-2011, 10:01 PM
Does anyone remember the member 86250RZ???? That is my uncle. He was the owner of this tecate and needed the money so he sold it to his dad(my grandpa) just recently. Basically this really wasnt a lost gem like stated. My grandpa is always looking to make a few bucks. Here is some pics of this tecate when he first got it from 200xbasket. It has the KX 250 dirtbike pipe, And a KX 250 ignition so it revs like an sob. This trike was pretty quick when i rode it back in 2005. As a matter of fact this trike has been sitting up since 2005.

The last red 86 250r pics is the 250r my uncle still owns. Some of you other long time 3ww members like me should remember him by these pics of his trike.
http://i55.tinypic.com/2zdrqcp.jpg
http://i55.tinypic.com/29ygi9y.jpg
http://i53.tinypic.com/fuw4ly.jpg
http://i52.tinypic.com/2dubcls.jpg
http://i51.tinypic.com/jaju6d.jpg
http://i56.tinypic.com/zn0wpd.jpg
http://i51.tinypic.com/23vg4xy.jpg
http://i53.tinypic.com/2lka0ep.jpg
http://i54.tinypic.com/dndh5t.jpg

nstyle73
02-02-2011, 09:26 PM
Its definitely a nice pick up. It wasnt really lost I guess, but its fun to find stuff like that when you're expecting a pile.

ceaserthethird
02-03-2011, 12:24 PM
Nice score, get ready to dish out some coin for parts!

200XMichigan
02-03-2011, 01:29 PM
Nice score! 2 stroke trikes rock. I thought I was a 4 stroke only guy till I got my YT175, now I am just itching to get a real 2 stroke race trike. Something about the sound of them and the powerband just rocks. Have you taken it for a spin yet?

yooperman
02-03-2011, 02:20 PM
ceaser im alrady started with the spending lol the wife but me on a budget once she went over the books lol. yeah i took it for a ride just a little one up the road there peppy lil things thats for sure. i gotta do some more tinkering on it and some investigating, because was idling perfect and when i went down the road and and when i would get on it would it would spit then it would take off then when the RPM would come down it would spit spit a lil bit, i call it a spit but its like a miss. i gotta do some searching on the net looking into the functions of the 2-stroke never messed with them before besides snowmobiles and chainsaws. i got a aitbox coming for it im gonna through on it. i THINK it may just not be jetted right with just having a clamp on airfilter. i havent checked the plug yet because i had to jet out right after i got done taking it for a test ride. because it was doing simular things my 200x did when i put a cheap clamp on filter on it and took it for a ride, but i didnt mess with the jetting because i didnt like the way the filter i bought looked on the 200x so i put the airbox back on it and it stopped acting up. so i gotta go track dowm some info on the 2-strokes. you hear about the shooting threat at NMU in marquette last week some time? some one threatened they were gonna do a shooting at NMU that would be worse then virginia tech was they shut down and locked down most of marquette i geuss. which is good never know now adays crazy freaks out there these days

bcredneck
02-03-2011, 02:32 PM
try not beening so snapy on the gas till you get to mid range it shouldnt miss if you do that

brapp
02-03-2011, 02:41 PM
i have an airbox , ufo cover, and a brand new uni filter i woudl sell them all for 125 shiped.

yooperman
02-03-2011, 02:46 PM
i will try that, do more of a ease into it till mid then hammer it not to exsesively but just get on it? is that when the power band kicks in is mid range and up? once in the power band is that when the 2-strokes are 100% in the power making zone? are all 2-strokes like that? sorry about all the questions i'm just new to the 2-strokes and i apologize if some of the questions are no brainers, i figure i could either spend all day searching the net or just ask lol.

yooperman
02-03-2011, 02:49 PM
i have one on the way, i have the airbox, boot, tecate decals and calfab decals coming i got it all for 260$ not sure if its a deal or not i think so with all the decals added on. thanks though brapp i appreciate the offer.

bcredneck
02-03-2011, 03:15 PM
i will try that, do more of a ease into it till mid then hammer it not to exsesively but just get on it? is that when the power band kicks in is mid range and up? once in the power band is that when the 2-strokes are 100% in the power making zone? are all 2-strokes like that? sorry about all the questions i'm just new to the 2-strokes and i apologize if some of the questions are no brainers, i figure i could either spend all day searching the net or just ask lol.

its kinda wierd when you first switch to a two smoke but when you get used to it you will be able to shift throu all the gears right in the power band most stock bikes have 100% power bettween mid and high range flying thoue the gears is so much fun it gets addicting also dont slow down going up hills 2 strokes dont like that

200XMichigan
02-03-2011, 03:50 PM
There's a great article from Dammit in the world class help section about jetting 2 strokes. Really helped me when jetting the YT175 for winter. Also a user on here, nd4speed (I think), has a great parts interchangeability list for the Tecate. If you can't find it on here I saved it on my computer and can e-mail it.

I didn't here about that in Marquette, was supposed to be heading up there soon. That's too close to home.

Here's something you might like: some free Tecate service manuals

http://tecateprojects.com/manuals.htm