PDA

View Full Version : Another opinion needed on 250sx

jdulac
10-04-2003, 06:44 PM
I am in the process of rebuilding a 1985 250sx that I picked up pretty cheap. Well i say rebuilding but the trike was in running condition when i got it. I'm talking more like restoring. Changing over the front end to a 200x front. Adding alum back wheels. New plastics.

When i bought it i was just going to ride it as is but then i got the bug like most of you. Now I am looking into a new exhuast and wheel spacers. I keep looking at the money i am putting in to this thing and now I am debating whether or not i should look into a 200x or 350x.

Do you think my 250sx will by worth some money when i get done with it. I know you can never make all your money back on mods but is this a good idea to do a 250sx. Or a sink hole. And am I going to want a 350x when i'm done.

jeswinehart
10-04-2003, 08:06 PM
eletric start, reverse, auto clutch are some very desirable items on any machine.

depends on how you like to ride if it's gonna be a trike you want to hang onto.

john

jdulac
10-04-2003, 08:09 PM
The autoclutch is something i don't like but yes the reverse is great in the woods.

84250r
10-04-2003, 08:16 PM
The auto clutch it was gives the SX its better touch along with the reverse. :?

heehawlittle
10-05-2003, 03:39 AM
i have 5 of them if that gives you a idea of what i think of them

250SX_rider
10-05-2003, 10:29 AM
Hey
You know, the 250SX can be a really good machine, but even with all the mods you can put into it, it will never be the same performance level than the 350X...but it can be quite performant with some mods....and nicer with a 200X or 350X frontend...well here's a list of mods you could put into your SX, maybe i forgot some...
- Cobra Exhaust -> http://www.atvpartsdepot.com/noname2.html
- K&N or UNI air filter -> http://www.motorcycleproshop.com/acc/k&n/honda.asp
- 200X or 350X frontend
- Maier plastics
- 260cc bore kit -> http://www.powroll.com/honda_garage_sale.htm

Well, that's all i'm thinking right now...it could become a nice trike to have with that stuff :-D

I would like to know how much did you pay for it ??

Cya!

proraptor
10-05-2003, 12:39 PM
I have one...It rides pretty nice...I made a hitch for the back to pull a trailor....I just dont like the auto clutch that much.

Tri-Z Pilot
10-06-2003, 03:57 AM
The first bike I ever bought was a 250sx with a 200x front end. The owner thought the timing chain was bad so I picked it up for a hundred bucks, the only thing wrong with its looks were some cracks and faded plastic. I got it home and started messing around with it, and I found out it had the wrong sparkplug. I put a new plug in and she fired right, man what a deal. I sold the bike about 2 years ago (the quest for speed), now I own a blaster and tri-z, but you know what, I really miss that 250sx. The 200x front end is a great idea. I have ridden 250 sxs with stock front ends, and I prefer the 200x front end. It makes the bike easier to wheelie ( which can be a good or bad thing) handles a lot better and you have the added convenience of a front hydraulic dick brake. As far as the auto clutch goes I have heard a couple stories about 250sxs with modified manual clutches. Dont know how true this is, but if you can do it to a wolverine or 250ex I am sure you could do it to a 250sx

jdulac
10-08-2003, 03:41 PM
well i'll post some pictures when i get done with it. I've gone this far i mine aswell keep going. I just bought a white maier back plastic on ebay and as soon as my 85 200x front end goes in i will need a white front plastic. I repainted my tank and bought some 350x oem stickers. I have aluminum back wheels that i picked from a junk 200x i just bought and parted. Thats also where i got my front end and brakes. I think the white will look pretty good.

bbechtel16
10-08-2003, 10:22 PM
Yay, SX modification! I love this stuff.

http://3wheelerworldforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=9820&highlight=250sx

http://3wheelerworldforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=5918&highlight=250sx

peco250sx
09-14-2008, 01:30 AM
speed is great so thanks for the mod tips, you cant beat the 250sx when it comes to tough terrain, its the perfect mud and bog trike

Name Brand
09-14-2008, 01:44 AM
An SX isn't really a true sport trike. But you can probably go the most places and do the most things with it when compared to any other trike.

SCRAMCHARGER318
09-15-2008, 08:25 AM
the 250sx is a great machine plenty of torque all around, wont beat a 250r in a drag race, but you can drag'em around in a tug of war, they are one of the best handling three wheelers a well even without the 200x front end, great climbing hills. they are not a rocket, but they got the torque to get you anywhere and back.

Dirtcrasher
09-15-2008, 11:19 AM
If you want to jump or have a more nimble machine with a manual clutch, then look elsewhere.

If you want an all around fun easy to ride and reliable trike with all it's ammenities, then stick with the SX.....

These trikes are ALL complete money pits!! I think most of us build them to keep them or keep buying them to find the 3 or more that we want to keep.

I always plan on spending a minimum of 2000$ for a good - tight - reliable and nice running machine.