PDA

View Full Version : 185s rear axle bearings options

79fordblake
01-23-2011, 01:15 AM
Anybody had good luck out of the axle bearing kits from Dennis-Kirk? While taking the stock hubs of the 185s today to swap on the 4 lug hubs I noticed some slop in the axle. No telling what all those bearings went through before I got it a little over a year ago. Thanks.

79fordblake
01-24-2011, 10:00 PM
My girlfriend is nice enough that she is going to buy me axle bearings for Valentines day. My question is when I tear this thing down and get ready to put it back together how in the world am I going to tighten the axle lock nuts to the correct specs when you cant get a socket and torque wrench on them? Is there a special tool for this?

Jammtee
01-24-2011, 10:06 PM
i tighten the hell out of it with a pipe wrench. make sure you use lock-tight. i use the blue one.

Xfile
01-24-2011, 10:20 PM
My girlfriend is nice enough that she is going to buy me axle bearings for Valentines day. My question is when I tear this thing down and get ready to put it back together how in the world am I going to tighten the axle lock nuts to the correct specs when you cant get a socket and torque wrench on them? Is there a special tool for this?

Axle bearings for valentines day!!!!???? I must say...that kicks ass!!! now...back to the original subject...

79fordblake
01-24-2011, 10:25 PM
Axle bearings for valentines day!!!!???? I must say...that kicks ass!!! now...back to the original subject...

Yeah, lol, she has a 83 110 and we like to ride together quite a bit. I said well ya know the 185s is needing new axles bearings, she said ok Ill get them for Valentines day.

So I guess get the lock nuts as tight as possible and use blue loctite on the outside one or on both of them?

Jammtee
01-24-2011, 10:31 PM
i use it on both. you girl is kick a**. keep that one, but keep in mind that my wife enjoys the same things i do and it gets exspensive lol

79fordblake
02-14-2011, 01:23 PM
Just got to tearing down the axle today. Are the nuts left handed thread? The manual doesn't say they are so I am assuming not. I gotta go buy wrenches to fit the stupid things. Also noticed I gotta buy a new rear sprocket....doing one thing always leads to something else....