PDA

View Full Version : Broken ehhaust bolt inside cylinder,need help and advice

redskinman
01-21-2011, 09:48 PM
Bought a 200x engine off fellow member here thats been bad news so far.After fixing clutch problem now I see one of the exhaust bolts is broken off in cylinder head.Looks like they tried to drill it out and have either broken off drill bit or extractor bit inside bolt.Am I screwed? I dont think another drill bit is going to drill through the old bit but I havent tried.Can you run these engines with just 1 exhaust bolt?

ATCrider42
01-21-2011, 10:36 PM
Try hittin up Dirtcrasher. He restores heads.

Flossyb20
01-21-2011, 10:36 PM
You will need both bolts to seal the exhaust. Just take it down to a good machine shop, they'll get it fixed for you, and will have all the tools to do so. If you keep trying to get that out w/out the right stuff, you'll end up ruining the head.

ama009
01-21-2011, 10:39 PM
Man, you have had nothing but trouble with that motor since you got it. I can't tell from the pic, but I would think it would leak with just one bolt. Maybe not. I haven't tried it.

willrideanythin
01-21-2011, 10:39 PM
I broke one off with a small tip left. I ended up welding a new 1/2 stud on. Id ont know if there is a enough room on yours though.

Nightmare
01-21-2011, 10:47 PM
The only way to drill through a bit or easy outs is carbide drillbit. NOT CHEAP!

Dirtcrasher
01-21-2011, 11:09 PM
No they aren't cheap....... but your only other choice is another head.

I have carbide and can get it out but you'll have to take it off and send it to me. Typically unless there is 1" deep of a tap or drill in there, I can get them out without it being a horror show.

If it is in that deep, most machine shops would want a couple hundred bucks based on how many carbide drills they break and the setup and service time. I try to be less than half what a normal machine shop would cost you and I use a Bridgeport Mill/angle block and proper tooling once it's indicated in........

Yours may have to be plugged and re-threaded.......

Vealmonkey
01-21-2011, 11:14 PM
The only other alternative I know of is a machine shop with a machine that used a rod and it actually burns the old bolt and I think drill bits and taps out as well. I don't know anywhere that has one though. It's almost like a plasma cutter. And it's suppose to not mess with your threads. I would highly recommend DC though. He seems to enjoy the pain of these kinds of jobs. LOL

fabiodriven
01-22-2011, 10:59 AM
If there is an easy out or a drill bit stuck in there you can shatter it with a hammer and a punch. I would recommend sending it to DC though.

hondamaniac
01-22-2011, 11:24 AM
i have sent many parts out to have the tap blasted out... with great success... there is a guy here in nc thats local for me that does alot of the machine shops parts... for like 40 bucks he will an can blast the broke tap out...it uses electricity to break it apart.. i think its an edm machine if im not mistaken...
i have saved a many of parts this way... id start by calling a few machine shops an asking if they know of anyone who can get taps out. they may be able to point ya in the right direction.

also you could try to take a carbide endmill an a bridgeport an cut it out... i would try the machine first... im a machinist an have had luck cutting them out but man one slip an your finished lol..

83ATC185S
01-22-2011, 11:53 AM
http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_trkparms=65%253A12%257C66%253A2%257C39%253 A1%257C72%253A4732&rt=nc&_nkw=200x+head&_sticky=1&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_sop=16&_sc=1

redskinman
01-22-2011, 12:26 PM
I have another cylinder head that came with 3 wheeler when i bought it,engine not running..Im not a gearhead,but im not an idiot.Never messed with 4 strokes,have a 2 stroke which is a lot easier to work on.I purchased this engine because it was supposed to have a fresh rebuild with no problems.It had a clutch problem,now i find a broken stud.I went ahead and mounted pipe with 1 bolt to see if it would even crank and so far i havent been able to get it started

fabiodriven
01-22-2011, 01:03 PM
Your broken bolt is not the reason it won't start. It doesn't sound like you're very happy with the seller.

redskinman
01-22-2011, 01:15 PM
Your broken bolt is not the reason it won't start. It doesn't sound like you're very happy with the seller.
lol.Yeah,I know the bolt is not the reason it wont start,Im just saying add that to the list.No,I am not happy with the seller.Im waiting for him to respond before I slander his name across america.Plus another member recommended him,so I thought it would be ok