PDA

View Full Version : 185s timing chain questions

79fordblake
01-20-2011, 02:17 AM
Alright guys first of all Ill go ahead and say I have a manual to go by and I have read over it already. But I wanted to know yall's opinion on the subject. This spring when the weather clears up I want to put a new timing chain on my 185s. I will replace the guide and tensioner as well. The manual says the head has to be removed but do you really have to remove it to do this?

3wheelrider
01-20-2011, 08:15 AM
Yes- you do.....But- Technically, you can replace the chain without removing the head. You can even change the tensioner without removing the head, but the guide you cant because it is sandwiched between the cylinder and head. -However none of this is recommended because you should replace all 3 anyway (at the same time).

rdlsz24
01-20-2011, 11:02 AM
It's not that hard to do. I did it in one night on my 200x. Pull the valve cover, head and flywheel and you have access to both guides and the chain

Rob

79fordblake
01-20-2011, 01:46 PM
Yeah when I do it I definitely want to replace all three things. I read the manual a couple times but was still a little confused about something that didn't seem to be stated very clearly. I remove the pull rope assembly then the flywheel and then there is another cover I have to remove to expose the part of the chain that is on the crank? Also gotta have a special flywheel puller? Thanks guys.

3wheelrider
01-20-2011, 02:39 PM
Yes, -pull off the pullstart, get a flywheel puller and remove it (left-hand threads), then remove the 4 bolts in the flywheel housing and pull it off, then you will see the chain on the crank. Remember to loosen the chain slack before removing it. On the tension adjuster bolt (behind the cyl.): hold the lower 14mm bolt and remove the 10mm bolt on top. Stick a long thin nail or similar in the hole and push and hold down on the tension and at the same time tighten the lower 14mm bolt slightly. This will keep the chain untensioned while you work on it.

79fordblake
01-20-2011, 03:27 PM
Thanks that helped alot. In the manual you have to flop back and forth page to page to read everything and get a little complicated at times. I don't know why they didn't have all the procedures laid out in one setting instead of skipping around.

Dirtcrasher
01-20-2011, 03:42 PM
Don't push too hard on that chain, it never changes like a swingarm/rear sprocket do. If it's apart, remove all burrs on the pieces that lock it into place, and I always tell guys to get a new torsion spring if it's still available....... Thats what tightens it when you loosen the bolts where the manual says to.

The manual is a PITA but the more manuals you read, the more you know; And NOTHING is better than having a clear understanding of what does what and how.

You'll be smarter than the average bear Yogi!! :D

79fordblake
01-20-2011, 04:37 PM
Thanks Dirtcrasher you answered my question before I asked it. I was wondering if I should replace that spring when I get in there to do the tensioner, guide and chain. I will look to see if new ones are available. I will get things ordered then install everything in the spring. Right now we are getting snow here in western kentucky so its time to ride, lol.

79fordblake
01-20-2011, 05:18 PM
I guess while its apart its a good time to stick in a aftermarket cam and have the head checked good and new valve seals installed? I got this 3wheeler from my uncle for doing some work for him. The guy he got it from just put new rings in it. I don't know if they bought a new piston or just re-ringed it but it doesn't smoke. You can tell all the top end gaskets are new. It is beyond me though why they didnt do the timing chain and everything while they was in there.

oscarmayer
01-20-2011, 05:26 PM
yea thay will work, you could even have the jug bored to size of a new piston. that will ensure you run great for a while. you can get a 65mm wiseco (stock 200cc size but that's max bore for the 185) and it will work great for you.

79fordblake
01-20-2011, 05:42 PM
yea thay will work, you could even have the jug bored to size of a new piston. that will ensure you run great for a while. you can get a 65mm wiseco (stock 200cc size but that's max bore for the 185) and it will work great for you.

Now I am getting really tempted to do things that it doesn't need, lol. I can take the cylinder and piston from a 200s or something and just switch it over to mine correct?

Can the local machine shop that does vehicles engines bore these cylinders or do I have to send it off to somebody?

I may decide to stash up a big pile of parts for it then go at it all at once.

79fordblake
02-14-2011, 12:05 AM
The other day for the heck of it I backed off the adjusting bolt for the cam chain and removed the small bolt on top and stuck a small screw driver down in there. I should be able to push down on the tensioner and create slack in the chain? Well I couldn't push it down no matter how hard I tried. So possibly the adjuster is just seized and I don't need a chain. I guess I will have to pull the flywheel and take the tensioner apart and see what is going on. I have all the new parts ordered though to put in when good weather comes.