PDA

View Full Version : HELP, with a ATC 350X decompresion question

Lonewolf-01
01-19-2011, 02:03 PM
I have a 1985 Honda ATC 350X and I believe the decompression set up is not working. I see nothing moving when I kick over the starter. Can someone tell me what goes on behind the cover where the kick starter goes? Pictures would be awesome, if you have some!
Thanks for your help!!!

Dirtcrasher
01-19-2011, 02:29 PM
Just go to bike bandit and you'll find the schematic with the decompression cam - MANY people force them on in the wrong position or leave them out.

If the little lever by the kicker is moving when you kick it over (take the cable off) then it's in there, just might not be in the right position.

TDC comp. stroke, 1/4" or 6mm p,lay in the arm or read the manual :D

Lonewolf-01
01-20-2011, 02:06 PM
Thank you Dirtcrasher. I looked up Bikebandit and can see what looks like some kind of a Cam adjuster and spring set up. I think I may have to remove the right side cover and see what is behind cover to know what is or isn't there. I guess I am stupid with this one, but I still can't fingure out what the cam adjuster does back there without looking. I do know, I can move the lever that the cable goes and it does not feel like it is doing anything, which most likely means there is nothing there? I know when I try and start the machine, it does start after many kicks, I assume if the decompresor was working, it would make it easier? I have a Yamaha 225, that when you try and pull start it and you do not pull the lever for the decompresion, it is very hard to pull. I was thinking if it was not working, it would be hard to kick?
Thanks for you help!

rray62
01-20-2011, 03:12 PM
It's been a while since I owned one, but if I'm not mistaken after the initial kick, the lever has to return to the resting position before the decompression reactivates.

Dirtcrasher
01-20-2011, 03:25 PM
Thank you Dirtcrasher. I looked up Bikebandit and can see what looks like some kind of a Cam adjuster and spring set up. I think I may have to remove the right side cover and see what is behind cover to know what is or isn't there. I guess I am stupid with this one, but I still can't fingure out what the cam adjuster does back there without looking. I do know, I can move the lever that the cable goes and it does not feel like it is doing anything, which most likely means there is nothing there? I know when I try and start the machine, it does start after many kicks, I assume if the decompresor was working, it would make it easier? I have a Yamaha 225, that when you try and pull start it and you do not pull the lever for the decompresion, it is very hard to pull. I was thinking if it was not working, it would be hard to kick?
Thanks for you help!

THat little latch is just about always there and it's position cannot change. It's more the cam on the kicker shaft that are not in the right spot (force it on!! :lol: Thats some peoples way of thinking). And I suggest buying a spare cable as sooner or later, they'll be gone!

I know taking the tank off and the intake valve cover off, but once you have a clear understanding of how those parts work, you won't need to in the future.

Best of luck bud!!

DC

Cave Rider
01-20-2011, 03:31 PM
Yeah,DC is right.I have seen people install the clutch cover and not locate the cam arm correctly.If that is the senario,then the arm would break upon installation and will not function.If it was broken make sure you fish the piece out before re-assembly.good luck.

martinact420
03-13-2011, 12:46 PM
There is also a little piece you should see moving on the front of the motor, same side as kick start. Push the kick start down a little first to activate it, then kick all the way through the stroke. Thanks.