PDA

View Full Version : 185s / 200s - Trick to removing the shocks from the fork?

CrkdLtr
01-19-2011, 01:36 PM
I recently acquired a fork from a 185s / 200s with front suspension. I removed the 4 bolts that held the shocks in the fork and tried to pry the gap open but was unsuccessful in removing them. I sprayed PB penetrating oil liberally, let it sit for a day and was able to get them to rotate but never was able to pull them out.

Does anyone have any tips or tricks on how I can remove the tubes from the fork?

Thanks.

Xhumeka
01-19-2011, 01:38 PM
What I do is wrap a blue shop towel around the shock, then take vice grips and squeeze the shock using the blue shop towel as padding. Using a flat-head screw driver to pry open the gap as much as possible, turn the shock using the vice grips back and forth to wiggle the shock loose. Applying lubrication also helps immensely!

CrkdLtr
01-19-2011, 05:47 PM
What I do is wrap a blue shop towel around the shock, then take vice grips and squeeze the shock using the blue shop towel as padding. Using a flat-head screw driver to pry open the gap as much as possible, turn the shock using the vice grips back and forth to wiggle the shock loose. Applying lubrication also helps immensely!

Thanks. Sounds like I need to get a larger pair of vice grips.

Xhumeka
01-19-2011, 05:50 PM
Thanks. Sounds like I need to get a larger pair of vice grips.

Just be careful - use lots of padding and avoid denting/scratching the forks!

And yes - you do need large vice grips... I recommend the BFVG9000 model ;) (joke reference re: the BFG9000 in the original Doom video game)

350XJEDI
01-20-2011, 03:04 PM
:lol:NICE! when making your videos you should refrain from showing your bong!:crazy: trailpro otherwise interasting vids.:rolleyes::Bounce:Bounce

Flossyb20
01-21-2011, 01:41 AM
IF they're off the bike, then just grab the bottom of a shock in each hand, and kick the crap out of the underside of the fork!! Just hope your legs are long enough...and watch out for the shock you put between your legs:-D Or be smart and put one of the tubes in a vice (with a ragged wrapped around of course) and hit the fork with a rubber mallet.