PDA

View Full Version : Rear drum on 200M

Rob Snyder
01-17-2011, 09:21 AM
Hopefully I'm putting this in the right place.
I have an 84 Honda 200M that is giving me some major trouble. I bought it dirt cheap(150). It runs and rides great but has no rear brakes at all. Took the cover off and started to get into pulling the drum. The drum will not come off. We've heated it, beat on it, sprayed a whole can of PB blaster on it. Nothing works. Any tips or tricks to getting it off? Any help is appreciated. I want to be out riding not fighting with it.

atctim
01-17-2011, 09:31 AM
Did you take the two axle nuts off? They hold the drum on. I assume you did - the problem is the drum splines and the axle spline rust (fuse) together - keep at it with heat, penetrating oil and patience.

mopar_man
01-17-2011, 09:53 AM
Forget the PB Blaster and get yourself some beeswax. Heat up the drum and splines and melt the wax in. Let it cool and it should slide off.

3wheelrider
01-17-2011, 10:29 AM
If its not the brakeshoes getting hung up on the drum. Theres a o-ring on the axle that slides into the drum that usually hangs up inside while youre trying to slide off the drum. Try to pry that o-ring out 1st with a pick or something thin.

atctim
01-17-2011, 10:52 AM
oh - also - be sure to back off your brake cables so there is no tension on the shoe to drum also.

Rob Snyder
01-17-2011, 02:55 PM
Thanks guys. A friend of mine works a local ATV shop and he took it to work to see if it will free up. I went and picked up another drum and rear axle this morning. The rear shoes are laying in the bottom of the drum so I doubt there is any tension coming from them. I needed the axle as mine looks to have a slight bend in it and the drum is in really bad shape, it's cracked and probably going to shatter when we do get it to free up. Paid next to nothing for them at 23cents a pound at the scrap yard. Going back saturday to get some more things for a hotrod tractor build.