PDA

View Full Version : 250sx is not getting spark

Springstrut
01-16-2011, 09:16 PM
I have a 1985 Honda 250sx that i cant get spark on the plug HELP!!!
I have replaced the coil, Regulator, Ignition module, Stator and pulsator, and a new spark plug, and are still not getting a spark. My nuetral light is on, some one else said that might be a problem if that does not show neutral. Dont know what else to do any help is appreciated.

Tecate Karl
01-17-2011, 01:07 AM
check the fuse next the battery

tri again
01-17-2011, 01:46 AM
I have a 1985 Honda 250sx that i cant get spark on the plug HELP!!!
I have replaced the coil, Regulator, Ignition module, Stator and pulsator, and a new spark plug, and are still not getting a spark. My nuetral light is on, some one else said that might be a problem if that does not show neutral. Dont know what else to do any help is appreciated.

Are you looking for spark WHILE spinning with the electric starter?

I fooled with one for days and days getting intermittent or NO spark with the electric starter.
Aggravated, I took the battery out for another trike and just for the heck of it I tried the kick starter and I got spark every godblessed time.

The neutral light needs to be on to allow the electric starter to work but you have that , correct? There's a 12$ neutralsafetyswitch under a sheetmetal cover that screw into the transmission just for the record.

I've also heard on here that there is a wire near the battery specifically on the sx models that rubs and shorts out or loses ground or something.
Not sure what keywords you'd use to find that.

Are you sure you're getting voltage out of your stator coil?
Did you happen to download a manual from the 'world class help' section on here?

It gives all the values for testing various components, but maybe you'll be lucky getting spark by kicking, finding an obvious bad wire near the battery box or something else simple.

There's also a rare oddity in the kill switch circuit you may have.

Generally, the kill switch grounds out and kills the spark. ok so far.

If your vision is good and you have a clear wiring diagram, you may find that, in addition to providing a ground to kill the engine, there is some pretzel logic in that part of the circuit that also provides ground to the cdi for it to RUN!

There are critical grounds in a few different places on these things as indicated by the wire diagrams but where they are physically on the machine is a real easteregg hunt and not necessarily pictured in the manual.

One last thought for this session is trimming off the very last 1/8" of the plug wire. Not sure why but freshening up the end of that wire has made the difference.

Also while you are there, make sure the plug cap is capable of transferring spark. They have a resistance value on that thing but they can also dead open short.

I usually unscrew that thing and check for spark directly out of the plug wire itself.

At this stage of the game, it can come to a process of elimination with so many variables at stake.

You'll get it. and then...
you'll buy a few more sx's because they are just so cool.

Please keep us posted with what you find.

tri again
01-18-2011, 02:31 PM
any news on the spark hunt?

Springstrut
01-19-2011, 01:36 PM
Still no luck, I tried the kick starter and have had no luck. I am now in the process of going through the wire harness one piece at a time to check for any breaks. I figure then I will go through and clean all the grounds. I will keep u posted if anything changes. Thanks for all the suggestions so far.

Lonewolf-01
01-19-2011, 01:56 PM
Not sure if that same, but I have a ATC 200S, that I could not get spark. I bought a new CDI unit on ebay and now it works just fine. The problem with those is when they go, they go. Just a thought.

the great gazoo
01-19-2011, 06:28 PM
Check out the bottom side of your ignition keyswitch- The solder points are known to break off.
To jump it out, unplug the connectors & jump out the red & the black female terminals inside the plug(paper clips work for a tester), this will tell you if your switch is bad.

NP250sx
03-17-2021, 09:07 PM
Im having wiring problems with my sx. Just bought a junker for $200 with the hopes of resurrecting it for fun. No spark. Saw all the other threads about ground wires, reverse wire, neutral wire. Everything is looking good. Bought a new battery, on /off switch, coil wire. There is a brown wire not attached to anything near the ignition. Does that attach anywhere? Am I missing something?