PDA

View Full Version : Fake Carbon Fiber 200X tank shrouds

dksix
01-16-2011, 04:39 PM
I didn't want to jack this thread http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthread.php?124057-carbon-fiber but wanted some input on this from you guys. I'm a department manager of a thermoforming department for a local company. Last week we had prototype request from a customer wanting parts formed from a fake carbon fiber finished polystyrene. I'm finishing my 84 200X in all black but have thought about a set of CF shrouds would break up the all black and give a nice look to the finished bike (when I ever get it finished). I checked with some folks here and even talked to that guy that appears to have been a scammer about doing a set for me but I've been unable to locate what I'm looking for. After having to sorce this material and will likely be stocking it at the plant now I gave soem thought of making my own shrouds. I can have a mold designed and made at the plant but I have 2 issues/questions about the shrouds. 1st, this is (IMO) pretty cheesy looking material. Not even close close to real CF but the flow looks good. 2nd, If I'm going to make them I think I'd like to get a set of the maier shrouds that are bigger than the OEM. Where would I be able to find a set of those bigger shrouds to patern off of, if I decide to try this. Here are some pics of the material I used, do you think it's too fake looking to look good?

swifty
01-16-2011, 05:04 PM
i got my bigger 83-85 shrouds "super scoops" from dennis kirk for like $37 last year

ATCrider42
01-16-2011, 05:27 PM
I have a set of maier tank shrouds for a first gen 200x. Im not using them and would be willing to get rid of them for cheap. but the left side one is mishaped a little and the corner catches on the fork, which is why i decided to buy a set of stock shrouds. PM me if your interested. i can get you pics if you want, too.

Dirtcrasher
01-16-2011, 05:48 PM
I don't think it looks too fake at all, seems like your well on your way :D

dksix
01-16-2011, 07:20 PM
I don't think it looks too fake at all, seems like your well on your way :D

I'm not saying I'll do it, I may take the easy way out and just cover a set of OEM or super scoops with the carbon fiber vinyl sheeting. The mold I was using here was customer supplied and just for proof of concept. This particular material becomes a bit brittle for an off road application, IMO. These are not something I would sale, just be for me and I could keep some on hand to replace them as they break. The advantage for me is that none of this cost me any money, one advantage of being part of a small company. I would only make stuff I couldn't get through normal channels.

Yamaha_Rules69
01-16-2011, 10:12 PM
Just do what I did, grab a piece of cardboard, and trace out a design for the shroud that you like. Cut it out, and hold it to the tank with the tank mounted, and turn the handlebar, to make sure it has enough clearance, if not, trim it a little at a time. Then for the other shroud, I just flipped the first one I cut around, and traced it, so it would be the same, only opposite. I cut mine out of aluminum sheet with a sheers, and a band saw to get the tight angles. They are nothing fancy, and just flat, not profiled, but they fit nicely, and give it a one off look, at least to me. I say go for it, I think it will look cool! Here are the only pics I have, wish I had a couple better ones.