PDA

View Full Version : Tecate ready for junkyard

Tecate Karl
01-15-2011, 05:04 PM
So here's the run down I got a 84 tecate about a year and a half ago. It ran at the time of purchase took it for one ride and decided it needed a rebuild. So I tore down completely new crank bearings new piston rings all that good stuff. Got it running for break in ran on a friday after work shut it down saturday it wouldn't start. So now to present day ruled it to a timing issue I have a electrical system of a running bike from member here so no matter what way I turn the stator from factory spec it still wants to kick back any thoughts here. I have tried both flywheels and same thing they are ricky stator flywheels. thanks guys

HuffieVA
01-15-2011, 08:54 PM
Is there any chance you have an air leak coming from your trans case into your crank case?

P.S. before you send it to the junkyard, I'd gladly take it off your hands

Tecate Karl
01-15-2011, 11:35 PM
Highly unlikely because it did run great lost spark now issues don't know why I would have them retarding the timing dont help either.

Eric250R
01-15-2011, 11:54 PM
We went threw something like this with an 85. Original stator went down, replaced it with a Ricky, and it ran fine....however, 2 out of 3 times it ran backwards. Well we assumed it must have went in wrong. Nope, it was dead on. But it only ran backwards if you kicked it, and not every time. If you pushed it off, it ran fine. So, called Ricky told them the problem and they sent another. Well, same thing. But this time there was a trick, if you slowly moved the kicker down until it kicked back....hard, then you could kick it and it ran fine all day. But if you started it before it kicked back it ran backwards. Never did figure it out. It finally got sold.

Tecate Karl
01-16-2011, 12:34 AM
eric thats the oddest thing I have ever heard so I may try this tomorrow