PDA

View Full Version : What type of Radiator Fluid and oil for my Tecate this winter

Meat-BoX
01-14-2011, 11:18 AM
I got the Tecate running and had drained all of my fluid to see about a coolant leak. Im taking it in this weekend to get pressure tested to see if there are any leaks and to get them fixed so I can hit the ice. I was wondering if I needed a certain blend of coolant for the super cold temps on the ice. Was also thinking to put a really good oil in the tranny. Is there certain brands that are better for the winter and if so can you share the knowledge. Im really excited to get on the ice. I just hope if its leaking coolant into the motor that its an easy and cheap fix. I believe this is the last fix on my trike so im really pumped. I want to be riding by next weekend. :cool:

puggerton03
01-14-2011, 01:05 PM
I put a 50/50 mix of coolant/water in my tecate and tri-z. Just like a car.

hang&rattle
01-14-2011, 03:45 PM
BelRay gear lube for my Tecate in this cold. Make sure the anti-freeze is aluminum compatible, which most are nowadays. Make sure your clutch cable is freshly oiled, gets a little sticky in the extreme cold, so while warmin' up the green buggy, pull the clutch lever in and out.

fmnrd
01-14-2011, 04:10 PM
Guys .I talked to a guy at the local parts shop that said "LIQUID ICE" Radiator fluid is the best on the market .Yes a little more in price than the others but he was telling me that unlike the other brands Liquid Ice does not harm the o-ring seals in the system . I guess the others have chemicals that will cause the o-rings to expand over time

hang&rattle
01-14-2011, 04:40 PM
Yup, he's right, dcreel's been running that in his Tecate for 30 or 40 years (lol).