PDA

View Full Version : AutoX or not to AutoX?

200XMichigan
01-14-2011, 10:40 AM
So the motor locked up on my 200X this summer and I am debating on just selling the engine that's in it. The motor was very beat on by the previous owner and cracked where the sprocket cover goes on. I think I can get enough for it to buy an engine from a friend of mine for cheap out of a 200S that ran great. But in the end I think I will miss the manual clutch and kickstarter.

Would you guys keep you old 200X engine, or sell it? And get running as an AutoX for now and just buy a better engine later if I miss the clutch. Plus my engine has a bad case half.

I think my 200X is begging me to make it an AutoX even though I want to have a clutch.

fabiodriven
01-14-2011, 10:50 AM
It's very simple. Do you want the clutch or not? It shouldn't matter what we think.

350XJEDI
01-14-2011, 11:05 AM
The auto x is easy to do but unless you put the 200x topend on the 200s it will not be quite as fast or fun . 200x mtoer can be rebuilt pretty cheap and it doe not mater if the case is damaged as long as it doasnt leak .a lot of them get damage becouse no chain maintance. iI like the clucth ,but sometimes the auto x is nice to, have several of each , its going to come down to $$ and how fast or type of riding . my auto x are great on tight hilly trails and for quest/ beginner riders but the stock bike era more fun if you know how to ride!!idea build both!! 2 trikes are more fun then 1:Bounce:Bounce

SeaBass8
01-14-2011, 11:06 AM
I'm looking forward to turning my 200s into an AutoX. But I guess its a little different for me as I already have the 200s and having the suspension would be a big upgrade.

200XMichigan
01-14-2011, 11:13 AM
It doesn't matter what people think, but I've never rode an AutoX. So I want to here what people have to say about the ones they have made and rode.

leviblue
01-14-2011, 11:22 AM
I don't think I'd miss kicking over a 200x. They always seem to take a few extra kicks. I like the auto X. Building one now for a buddy

hang&rattle
01-14-2011, 11:30 AM
Absolutely do it. No joke. Now this is my experience, but others may be different: The 200x motor is junk. It was souped to much. Started as a CB 100 street bike in the 70's (kinda). We have had 4 200x motors in the last year pass though our doors & only my son's 83' (which is an awesome motor, fast and strong) was any good. I put an 81 200 motor in my daughters 200x and it was simply a blast. Compared to 2 other 200x motors, the regular 200 wasn't much different, like your x motor they weren't that great (my son's is a fluke though). Less top end speed, but 200x's are slow anyways so ya hardly notice vs. the 200. But in bursts & climbing and trails, the semi-auto rocks. No wearing out clutches or constant shifting. I like riding my daughters x with the auto more than my son's hot rod. If ya want performance, remember, that what the R's, Z's and Tecate's are for. 200x's are for the sportin' folk. Screw that crappy clutch x motor, to expensive to soup, and alot of maintenance. 200 auto all the way. Remember, this is my advise (& judging from the many auto-x's many others).

Xpress
01-14-2011, 11:53 AM
200x is slow?! Considering how slow and dog like most modern 200CC ATV's are, the 200X is a missile! 54-56mph is rather speedy, and they have more than enough power to haul my larger person around all of the trails and steep hills around here. I pop it into 1st gear for the steepest bits and get it into the RPM's and it crawls right up.

Speaking with the previous owner of mine, the engine hasn't had work done on it since it was bought, so it took 27 years of abuse before it crapped out on me.

Now, to the OP: I say get that engine just so you can see how it does. How will you ever know until you try it? If you don't like it, you can sell the engine and rebuild your 200X engine.

200XMichigan
01-14-2011, 12:04 PM
I might sell my 200X engine to get the 200S motor. And I won't miss having my kicker gears slip when I am 10 miles out on a trail in winter and wonder if this will be the time it doesn't want to engage. I am kind of think of just selling the 200X engine, once I have more money I saw on here someone swapped in a CRF230 engine, e-start, and kick start, 30cc's more, all sorts of advantages. But who am I kidding, if everything goes well I will have a Tri-Z soon, so I'll have something with a manual clutch. I should just AutoX it and don't look back. I love the manual clutch but it would give me something to let friends ride, and I don't think I would miss it at all when I hopped on a Tri-Z and could let someone use the Auto-X.

350XJEDI
01-14-2011, 12:13 PM
:crazy:if you cant kick a 200x over you should get a chinese 110 quad lol . try kicking a high compression 350x or a xr 500-600 , the 200x is still one of my alltime faverie trikes easy to ride, light ,handles good , and fast eneugh to put you in the hospital if you dont respect it .:cool: build the auto x save the 200 x moter so you can use the topend later when you want more power . use a 200xr carb if you can get one , cobra pipe ,kinda loud ,but :cool: then ride the wheels of it have fun :Bounce:Bounce

CanadianThomas
01-14-2011, 12:46 PM
I think it's crazy to kill a good 200x to make a autoX, just my thoughts. For me if you want a nice trail rider with a semi auto trans it's already available, the 250sx. I know it's not as sporty and all but it's close. I just love having the manual transmission, makes for a very fun ride. I just don't see the need of a trike with such a sport chassis without a clutch, too stale to make use of it then.

But like already said, it's all personal preference.

In regards to the 200x not being fast enough. Not so my friend. My 200x is very upgraded inside and out and it screams. I can now just, and I mean just, keep up to a 1st gen 250r in the trails. Amazing to have all the power in such a nice light little trike.

Either way, you will enjoy it very much, how could you not, it's a 200x! :TrikesOwn

(Pic included just because I love the 250r front end/350x lights on it.)

200XMichigan
01-14-2011, 01:07 PM
If I could get a good 200X engine for the $75 I would in a heartbeat. But there are two engines, a 185 and a 200 engine I can choose from both ran good. My 200X engine was beat to death by the previous owner, case cracked from no chain maintenance, doesn't leak but if I were to rebuild it I would want to replace it with a good case half, at that point I would want to replace all the bearings in the lower end. Also the previous owner drilled and tapped a bunch of the case screws for standard thread. I might keep this engine, rebuild it later and put it back in. It doesn't kill a 200X at all to make it an AutoX, anyone can change it back later. Its sitting in my field right now with a dead engine (under a tarp), its not like I would take the engine to the scrap yard. If anything it will get sold to a guy who needs parts for his 200X, or put it in my shed. For the cost of rebuilding this engine it might be cheaper to put a CRF230 engine in, and it wouldn't have any discontinued parts. Looks like AutoX for now, the 200X engine might go up for sale.

350XJEDI
01-14-2011, 01:19 PM
I think it's crazy to kill a good 200x to make a autoX, just my thoughts. For me if you want a nice trail rider with a semi auto trans it's already available, the 250sx. I know it's not as sporty and all but it's close. I just love having the manual transmission, makes for a very fun ride. I just don't see the need of a trike with such a sport chassis without a clutch, too stale to make use of it then.

But like already said, it's all personal preference.

In regards to the 200x not being fast enough. Not so my friend. My 200x is very upgraded inside and out and it screams. I can now just, and I mean just, keep up to a 1st gen 250r in the trails. Amazing to have all the power in such a nice light little trike.

Either way, you will enjoy it very much, how could you not, it's a 200x! :TrikesOwn

(Pic included just because I love the 250r front end/350x lights on it.)

nice trike , how goog do those tirs hook and what kind are thy ?

CanadianThomas
01-14-2011, 01:23 PM
nice trike , how goog do those tirs hook and what kind are thy ?

I'll look today, they actually belong to a friend I am just using them for the time being. They do hook up real nice but they slide a bit too easy, well in the snow anyway. Like some kind of extreme flat track tire, lol. We are going for a ride today so I'll get a couple better pics and get the lowdown on them for you.

hang&rattle
01-14-2011, 01:35 PM
I say they are slow because after riding Tri-Z's, Tecate's, and dirtbikes the 200x is slow. They're kinda in a class all by them selves though, nothin' sporty to compare them to with that small of motor, but in reality, if you designate them a 'race trike' they are slow. Good luck with a 200x keepin' up with a real race-bread trike (Tecate, R, Z, or even 350x). Good for my 11 year old son to start out on, but of all the atv's and cycles out there (dirt/sport), they are not as fast (talkin' sport/race, not (20+ year old) utility rigs).

350XJEDI
01-16-2011, 01:43 AM
autox is a nice trail machine . the 200x is not a 2 stroke so yea not "race' fast but still one of the best all the other machines are utility or 2stroke or expensive 350x . so build ,it enjoy it, ride it . you dont have to be the fastest to have a good time,!!!

bugler30
01-16-2011, 01:55 AM
got a 200x bottom end (bad 3rd and 4th gear) but good case. PM me if interested :)

the bike I took that motor out of we put a 200s motor into, it was pretty fun while it lasted. the crank in the s motor turned out to be chewed up at the flywheel.

my cousin has a .040 over 12:1 wiseco piston with a supertrapp exhaust, stock cam and carb. It does pretty good but is definitely lacking power especially in the sand. Much better than our 200es though, I'll give it that :lol:

350XJEDI
01-18-2011, 12:03 AM
the 200x is not the best bike in the sand ,underpowered :(but still a lot of fun ;).but the autox is even less power in the sand, fun on trials ,small hills ,etc . how is a pm done? sorry dumb ? not a computer guy :crazy:, im in vancouver wash. so its not that far to coo bay was down there last summer. couple times.:Bounce:Bounce

bugler30
01-18-2011, 02:58 AM
click on my user name "bugler30" and then select PM from the drop down menu thing it gives you.

Hit me up if you come down again, always happy to ride with new people :D