PDA

View Full Version : cold weather jetting...85 250es

ahardwick
01-14-2011, 10:08 AM
Thing is a bear to start in the cold. Went ice fishing and it was 9 degrees when I pulled up. Took 20 minutes to finally get it to idle on its own. I had to manually turn the idle up until it was warm, then once it was hot I had to turn it back down. I rebuilt the carb this summer and it has run flawlessly up until the cold. Can I rejet it for cold weather?

mtsnieg
01-14-2011, 10:49 AM
Might try raising the needle (lowering the e-clip) first before jetting. It'll let a bit more fuel flow. My '85 250es starts on two kicks with the choke on in the cold Wisconsin weather. I do have to leave the choke on for a couple minutes. The '85's were knowns for poor cold starts.

Cave Rider
01-14-2011, 11:13 AM
Raising the needle will only affect your mid range..Turn out your fuel mix screw 1 turn,if that does not help than you may have a partially plugged pilot jet. My big red starts with ease in any temperature and its bone stock.Took it out yesterday at 13 degrees...Also make sure your air filter is oiled,that will help richen it up a bit....good luck !!!

tri again
01-14-2011, 12:11 PM
tons of info re: cold start recall on the keihin QA01 carbs, if that's what you have.

Mine was NOT worth starting in the winter, start fluid scares me but I used it sparingly.

Keep a sparkplug inside the house on the woodstove helped.
running a hairdryer at the carb for 10 minutes before I tried to start it.
Kinda doubt many folks keep hairdryers in their ice fishin' sheds these days;

Kick start on THE perfect spot for max compression stroke helped when running the elec start did not work at all. Seemed to need that quick snap suction/vacuum to get the fuel up.

Rocking the trike side to side before you start sloshes a little extra fuel to help start.

Make sure your choke plunger actually moves up to enrichen the start circuit

and the real answers are.

Find an updated cold start kit from 1985 and try, just try to get that old cold jet out.
They don't just pry out with the sheetmetal screw after 25 years like they say.
Shindy kit #03-015 supposedly has the newer style cold jet.

Or figure out how much to drill out the old one..WISH I could remember (sorry) Thinking it might be like .080" but once you drill, you can't go back so let's make SURE of that option.

I lucked out on one of mine and just reamed that jet with some torch tip cleaners and it starts stone cold with a kick or 2.

Used to take 15-20 kicks.

Find an 86 or newer carb?

Just make sure the carb is real clean.
Just because it has new jets, doesn't mean the internal passages are clear.

I got so aggravated with one of mine since it was essentially junk and worthless and useless,
I soaked it in boiling water with vinegar and lemon juice since I had nothing to lose,

a bunch MORE crud blew out of the passages after that, and reaming the cold start jet to an unknown but slight increased diameter,
I have one more happy, all weather trike.

ailll1
01-14-2011, 01:09 PM
If I remeber right, DC said the starter jet has to be drilled at 0.080''.

Thorpe
01-14-2011, 04:10 PM
Yes. .080 drill bit, and good to go...

mtsnieg
01-14-2011, 10:36 PM
Yes. .080 drill bit, and good to go...

That's good to know. Just drill it out in place, then thoroughly clean the carb? If time allows I'm gonna try to do it to mine tomorrow.

40vern
01-20-2012, 03:50 PM
Been searching hear for a couple of days.
My 250es will not start cold.
I want to drill out the cold Starting jet. I just been to know the one to drill.
Can someone tell me the one I need to drill? What does it look like?

Dirtcrasher
01-24-2012, 10:45 PM
^ It's the only pressed in jet, called the "starter jet" Doesn't that diagram above show it??

Take the whole carb apart, air screw and all jets and drill it with some grease on the drill bit. Then go nuts with carb cleaner annd compressed air through every single orifice....

That is , of course, unless you can remove the starter jet without damaging it.

40vern
02-04-2012, 09:29 PM
Thanks. I got some help on the four wheeler sight while this one was down
I drilled the jet out and now it will start first try everytime