PDA

View Full Version : 200x tailight replacement

mtsnieg
01-13-2011, 02:07 PM
A good buddy of mine just bought a 200x, without any lights. I got him hooked up with an old headlight I have. For the tail light he brought me a single wire red clearance light:rolleyes:. There are two wires hooked up to the tailight on my x. Anyone know how I can hook up this one wire light? Ya ya, I know, tell him to get the right light. He is money strapped so I want to get him lighted up in the rear on the quick. Thanks, Matt.

rdlsz24
01-13-2011, 03:08 PM
How is it grounded? From the mount to the frame?

Rob

mtsnieg
01-13-2011, 03:30 PM
Looks like the light grounds to the frame, or mount when mounted.

Texaskev
01-13-2011, 03:32 PM
Yes, The one wire is the +, and the ground wire from the trike will ground to the mount.

Xpress
01-13-2011, 03:34 PM
Hang on, isn't the mount insulated with rubber?? And isn't the light housing plastic?

mtsnieg
01-13-2011, 03:53 PM
Hang on, isn't the mount insulated with rubber?? And isn't the light housing plastic?

That is true. Two wires (brown and green) going to the taillight. The light I want to use has one wire (I assume power) coming out of the bulb socket. There's a small metel strap also coming out of the socket that goes to the mounting hole ( I assume this is the ground). Is the factory tail light a grounded light? I don't wanna hook it up wrong and mess up the lighting coil or anything else for that matter.

mtsnieg
01-13-2011, 03:57 PM
After looking at the wiring schematic in the manual, the green wire goes to the switch, but is 'spliced' and goes to the ignition coil where it's grounded to the frame. So if I'm thinkin correctly, I could solder a wire to the metat grounding strap on the new light and plug it into the green wire going to the tail light. The wire coming out the new light would plug into the brown wire.
I just wanna be sure before I hook it up and try it out.

Xpress
01-13-2011, 04:56 PM
Brown/Black is usually ground. I don't think it matters much which way you wire it up. Hook it up to a 12v auto battery to see which way works.

Texaskev
01-13-2011, 05:49 PM
Your brown wire on the trike is +, the green one is -. You are correct. Go for it.

Mosh
01-16-2011, 11:58 PM
Brown/Black is usually ground. I don't think it matters much which way you wire it up. Hook it up to a 12v auto battery to see which way works.
Dude you need to quit posting BS comments and false "info" like this.
Almost anyone knows that almost all these old Hondas use the green wire as a ground.
And 5 seconds to check the multitude of wiring diagrams on the tech page would have proved this to you.

You need to spend some time educating yourself, instead of just posting away wrong info.

You are going to cause someone to ruin something with your uneducated guesses..

Xpress
01-17-2011, 12:10 AM
Dude you need to quit posting BS comments and false "info" like this.
Almost anyone knows that almost all these old Hondas use the green wire as a ground.
And 5 seconds to check the multitude of wiring diagrams on the tech page would have proved this to you.

You need to spend some time educating yourself, instead of just posting away wrong info.

You are going to cause someone to ruin something with your uneducated guesses..

No need to freak out on me, it's GENERAL knowledge that ground is always brown/black, that's how it is on batteries, power systems, lights, ect. Apparently Honda likes to use Green as ground. A simple test with a tester light (WHICH I HAVE NOT DONE BECAUSE I HAVE NOT NEEDED TO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) would show which is positive and which is ground.

How is saying that black/brown is ground is false info, when it's common knowledge?!?!?

Mosh
01-17-2011, 12:17 AM
I am not freaking out on you. However, if I did not know better and your posted mis-information led me to break or ruin something, that would be a different story.

I consider it my duty to give people the most correct info I can on here and protect other users in the same fashion from following incorrect info.
And you are correct for once..Your knowledge is just that "GENERAL"..Which is just enough to make someone dangerous..

Remember.."close, only counts in horse-shoes and hand grenades"

No need to get all butthurt over it..Just maybe find the correct answer next time and link the thread or info backing it up. You will be more helpful that way.

mtsnieg
01-18-2011, 10:52 AM
Got it hooked up yesterday. Brown wire is pos and the green is neg. I soldered a wire to the ground strap on the new light to hook it up to the green wire. Works great.

WIkid500
01-18-2011, 11:11 AM
Good to hear it worked out for you.

All this positive and Negative argument is a bunch of hogp1ss. The 200x produces AC current. The current alternates from positive to negative just like the wiring in your house. The system is AC because there is no rectifier after the lighting coil to make the current a one way street (DC system). Incandescent lights will work either way you hook em up, as long as they have both wires going to each contact of the bulb, simple resistance. LED lights will not work because they require a steady DC voltage which is not attainable without a rectifier and a battery.